Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 948 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 152 Times in 67 Posts

What Is It With Gear Lists

All right guys, there is a new blog up. I have been toying with putting this one together for quite a while and I'm sure many of you have thought about the same things.

Let me know your thoughts on this one and if you prioritize your gear purchases the same way!

www.eastmans.com
    blog.eastmans.com
    www.wingmen.us

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ScottR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 122 Times in 14 Posts
    Great points in the article!

Ballistics app for my computer and phone really helped my shooting. I am 6+ hour drive from my hunting areas, so pre-season scouting doesn't fit my work schedule. I do put on the boots and pack and train in the off-season. Neighbors think I'm crazy, but I really don't care.

Work / life challenges took me away from hunting for almost ten years. In the past few years I've concentrated my upgrade efforts in the following ways:

Optics: Leupold scopes and Leica rangefinder are still great, so no change there. Did upgrade to Zeiss 10x42 Conquest HD binos. Huge difference!
    Shooting: Added bi-pod, dug in to ballistics more, experimented with different loads and got the rifle shooting much better.
    Clothing: Upgrading some clothing options...badly needed.
    Boots: I'm an 11.5 - 4E, so options are limited. Replaced the 20+ year old boots with new Irish Setter Elk Trackers this fall.
    Pack: the next purchase...
    Workouts: My gym has a pool...swimming really kicks my ass...but huge help with the cardio. I mix it up - hiking, running, weights, stairs, swim, yoga, MMA-style-training, etc.
    Nutrition: wife had to go gluten free 3 years ago...I gave it a try and feel much better. Not for everyone.

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 948 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 152 Times in 67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daubs View Post
    Great points in the article!

Ballistics app for my computer and phone really helped my shooting. I am 6+ hour drive from my hunting areas, so pre-season scouting doesn't fit my work schedule. I do put on the boots and pack and train in the off-season. Neighbors think I'm crazy, but I really don't care.

Work / life challenges took me away from hunting for almost ten years. In the past few years I've concentrated my upgrade efforts in the following ways:

Optics: Leupold scopes and Leica rangefinder are still great, so no change there. Did upgrade to Zeiss 10x42 Conquest HD binos. Huge difference!
    Shooting: Added bi-pod, dug in to ballistics more, experimented with different loads and got the rifle shooting much better.
    Clothing: Upgrading some clothing options...badly needed.
    Boots: I'm an 11.5 - 4E, so options are limited. Replaced the 20+ year old boots with new Irish Setter Elk Trackers this fall.
    Pack: the next purchase...
    Workouts: My gym has a pool...swimming really kicks my ass...but huge help with the cardio. I mix it up - hiking, running, weights, stairs, swim, yoga, MMA-style-training, etc.
    Nutrition: wife had to go gluten free 3 years ago...I gave it a try and feel much better. Not for everyone.
    Glad you got something from it. Hoping that hunters across the board read and see the importance of this.
    www.eastmans.com
    blog.eastmans.com
    www.wingmen.us

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ScottR For This Useful Post:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,549 Times in 1,085 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 704 Times in 116 Posts
    Great artical again Scott

I like to look over gear lists to see what I can improve on rather that be adding to or taking away. Changing gear to new and improved, lighter, does more then previous model keeps me on my toes.
    ... because every picture tells a story

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 158 Times in 52 Posts
    I'm a nut an go OCD on internet scouting & training. I have good equipment and practice stocking and shooting a lot back in Ohio with both gun, bow, and camera. What I really need is some med and outer layer FL or Sitka clothing. :-)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 89 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonecollector View Post
    I have good equipment and practice stocking and shooting
    Is that where you sneak up on them in your socks and shoot them???

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 158 Times in 52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CoHiCntry View Post
    Is that where you sneak up on them in your socks and shoot them???
    In my stocking cap as well! LOL
    Now I have this image of Ebenezer Scrooge in my mind! :-)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 61 Times in 12 Posts

Great article Scott,
    I agree with your main points completely.
    I live literally at the bottom of Pikes Peak and I hike steep terrain 4 or 5 days a week with my day pack.
    I don't spend much time in a gym, just hike, and this seems to work pretty well for me.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Winchester For This Useful Post: