Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 760 Gamemaster

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 140 Times in 32 Posts

760 Gamemaster

Just curious if anyone else on here uses one.

If you do, what caliber and how long have you owned it?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,906 Times in 1,093 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 312 Times in 85 Posts
    Had one many years ago in 30-06. But I sold it to my cousin, who wanted it worse than me!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My first rifle, bought it in 76. 30-06 still have it, but haven't used it in a while.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 61 Times in 12 Posts
    My grandfather had one in 30-06.
    Bought it a long time ago.
    I have it now, but haven't used it lately.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 152 Times in 34 Posts
    Don't have one but I see a ton of them in the woods. Last year 1st rifle my son was like " how is that guy cycling his bolt that quick"?

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,246 Times in 998 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 157 Times in 71 Posts
    I haven't used one.
    www.eastmans.com
    blog.eastmans.com
    www.wingmen.us

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 26 Times in 3 Posts
    I always found the trigger to be wanting. Badly. I think it would be a heck of a gun if the trigger was better.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 141 Times in 32 Posts
    My brother in law has one in 30-06 and has killed more deer and elk with it than a normal person would in a lifetime.

For years he just used iron sights and had no problems popping running deer with it. He then placed a Weaver 4x scope on it and went on to use it for years afterwards before purchasing a 7mm Rem mag for those long shots.

I even used it on a couple of my first deer hunts when I wanted to use a rifle with a scope on it. My old 30-06 just had a peep sight on it and on those 200 yard shots I had a problem placing the bullet right where I wanted it to go.

It isn't a tack driver, or a target rifle but does one thing quite well. It kills animals.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 140 Times in 32 Posts
    They sell drop ins for it. Mine is extremely accurate with federal ammo.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 128 Times in 22 Posts

I've owned a few in 270 and 30-06. They are good rifles and can be found reasonable. As technology and money became more prevalent in the hunting around here deer drives gave way to food plots and stands/blind. I adapted as well and went to a bolt action rifle with a better low light scope. My pump gun became a back-up or loaner rifle. I had a college roommate borrow the nice one I had in 30-06 (Leupold rings/bases, 2-7x Leupold, Pachmyr pad) and he fell in love with it. As a lefty it was a great fit for him and he ended up buying it. I picked up a beat up one that someone had painted the stock on a ugly brown like a Daisy BB gun. It shot fine but the other roommate borrowed it next season and ended up buying it. Later I picked up a 7600 I still have with a 2-7x Leupold VX-2 on it.

None were tack drivers, but all would shoot 1.5" groups or better with ammo they liked. Honestly I didn't spend to much time trying to find ammo they liked either, first thing that shot 1.5" I went with and it usually was the first box of Core Lokt I tried. The current one likes Black Hills 180gr Accubond loads and since I don't shoot it much I don't mind feeding it the good stuff. A friend borrowed it last year when his scope ring broke and took a doe with it at 250yds.

Timney makes a trigger that fits I have in mine, I think it was for a 20 gauge shotgun. It helps accuracy a lot. They are a good solid rifle. Anytime fast shots inside 250yds are more important than accuracy past 250yds I would not hesitate to use one. They shoot well enough to shoot further but the fore end has some play in it that can make using sticks or improvised field rests a bit less steady for me than a bolt gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast