Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 122 Times in 14 Posts

The dumb/stupid things we do chasing game...

Brother and I were talking in the duck blind this weekend...reminiscing the stupid things we have done while hunting through the years.

One of mine: I was probably 20-21 years old, December, temp in the mid-20's, I was walking public Platte River land near Kearney, NE looking for a new spot to duck hunt. Of course, I was alone on this scouting trip.

The Platte is known for being an inch-deep-and-a-mile-wide, but it can have some holes and deep channels. I grew up hunting the Platte and was pretty confident wading the river.

Neoprene chest waders with no PFD, or even a belt, no wading stick. I had already crossed a few small knee-deep channels...but this one was getting deeper and deeper...

Found myself in swift, chest deep water about an inch from the top of my waders. Rem 1100 held above my head. Current pushing on me, I was inching forward...then thought to myself, "self, this is not smart...get back to the bank!" Not smart.

So share some of your non-so-bright moments while hunting : )

Thanks
    Thanked 1,817 Times in 1,054 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 309 Times in 83 Posts
    I was deer hunting in the High Sierras of California on our families annual wilderness deer hunt. It had been raining pretty hard all morning and no one was hunting, just sitting around the fire drinking coffee. I got the itch and told everyone I was going hunting. Got ready and left camp heading for a spot I knew would hold some bedded deer. I got a mile or so from camp and the thunder and lightning started. It got pretty bad as I started climbing a ridge to the pockets that I wanted to hunt. I was standing in a protected niche in a rocky face when a tremendous clap of thunder blasted me and then lightning hit a large Ponderosa about 100 feet away. I could smell it and all the hair on my body stood up and it took my breath away. Limbs, pine needles and cones were raining down. Needless to say I almost ran back to camp. My Dad asked me what the hell happened, I looked white as a sheet.

All I said is.."You don't want to know!"

Scared the hell out of me. I don't hunt anymore when there is lightning and thunder.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 201 Times in 46 Posts
    Lightning is scary stuff. Once while sitting at the edge of an alfalfa field we had very scattered clouds over us while waiting for some antelope. From the one cloud over the field a bolt of lightning hit the ground about 50 yards away from us. The crack of the lightning was deafening, there was a puff of smoke and you could smell and feel the electricity in the air.
    When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money.

Cree Prophecy

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 61 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daubs View Post
    Brother and I were talking in the duck blind this weekend...reminiscing the stupid things we have done while hunting through the years.

One of mine: I was probably 20-21 years old, December, temp in the mid-20's, I was walking public Platte River land near Kearney, NE looking for a new spot to duck hunt. Of course, I was alone on this scouting trip.

The Platte is known for being an inch-deep-and-a-mile-wide, but it can have some holes and deep channels. I grew up hunting the Platte and was pretty confident wading the river.

Neoprene chest waders with no PFD, or even a belt, no wading stick. I had already crossed a few small knee-deep channels...but this one was getting deeper and deeper...

Found myself in swift, chest deep water about an inch from the top of my waders. Rem 1100 held above my head. Current pushing on me, I was inching forward...then thought to myself, "self, this is not smart...get back to the bank!" Not smart.

So share some of your non-so-bright moments while hunting : )
    Dangerous situation indeed ... did you live ? :-)

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,158 Times in 939 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 152 Times in 67 Posts
    This one is going to be fun, and jam packed with lots of wisdom...
    www.eastmans.com
    blog.eastmans.com
    www.wingmen.us

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ScottR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 54 Times in 22 Posts
    I hate to admit it BUT I once went elk hunting with with a pocketful of 25-06 shells instead of .270 . saw a BIG bull at 400 yards and fired not once but a grand total of 10 times before he nonchalantly walked off into the brush never to be seen by me again.

didn't even realize what I had done till it was all over.

that has got to be my biggest brain fart to date.

sighted it in when I went home and it was still dead on
    Last edited by kidoggy; 11-29-2017 at 07:37 PM.
    AS GOES THE CHURCH, SO GOES THE NATION

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 54 Times in 22 Posts
    come on guys . I told mine. we all know you've all done something stupid at one time or another
    AS GOES THE CHURCH, SO GOES THE NATION

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kidoggy For This Useful Post:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,547 Times in 1,084 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 703 Times in 115 Posts
    I've defiantly forgot bullets in the passed. Forgot my tag before and took a 6 hr drive for nothing.
    ... because every picture tells a story

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ikeepitcold For This Useful Post:

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,158 Times in 939 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 152 Times in 67 Posts
    I have a few. Just have to have time to sit and write them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    www.eastmans.com
    blog.eastmans.com
    www.wingmen.us

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 123 Times in 27 Posts

Back when I was in college I partied all night long then drove an hour to the boat ramp to go duck hunting in the morning and when I got to the ramp I realized that I had forgotten my waders. Instead of returning home I opted to go ahead and hunt in my fluffy alpaca socks and crocs I was wearing.

Killed my limit that morning both ducks and geese.

Forgot to mention with the windchill it was -5F.

I really wanted to kill the Mallards and Geese back then.....and I kept the SuperX2 Barrel hot all season long. lol

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast