Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,002 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 157 Times in 71 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardsc View Post
    well i am 52 and have 10pts for deer as well as 2 of my buddies, we have no idea what the hell to do next year. We are in the point game for sure now because of 2 much time and money spent to drop out now. We would really love to hunt 102 sometime but i am afraid we wont draw for a long time. unit 90 would be good for us to. We have no interest in hunting G or H just because of the terrain and i have a bad back. Im good for about 2 miles in and 2 miles out and probably less if im packing a boned out deer. also interested in unit 130 and 89 or 87, but really we know nothing about them. I have poured over maps and google earth and i like the terrain in all those units however i am a bit worried about private land in 89 or 87. Ha Ha good hell decisions, decisions, what to do.
    If I'm in your shoes, just about any of those units can produce big deer. 102 and 101 have taken a hit quality wise the last few years so you might just chalk that up to a wash and go with one of the others.

The good thing is that you would know June what/if you drew and then from there do your best to get out and scout the tar out of it. If it's a transitional hunt then make note of where 1 month old sign is , look for travel corridors, etc.
    www.eastmans.com
    blog.eastmans.com
    www.wingmen.us

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 94 Times in 11 Posts
    In 2017 there were about 2,050 people with max elk points and about 150 max point holders drew out. If future years follow this trend then there is a 16 year backlog just to clear out the max point holders. There are about as many people with 1 less than max so there is another 16 years so it could potentially take 32 years for this group to draw out.
    Not a real inspiring thought.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 45 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottR View Post
    If I'm in your shoes, just about any of those units can produce big deer. 102 and 101 have taken a hit quality wise the last few years so you might just chalk that up to a wash and go with one of the others.

The good thing is that you would know June what/if you drew and then from there do your best to get out and scout the tar out of it. If it's a transitional hunt then make note of where 1 month old sign is , look for travel corridors, etc.
    That is a scary thing to know if holing on to points. If a lot of people looked at the numbers like I did going into 2017 season they might have opted for a easier area to draw a tag. I know I was not willing to wait another 5 to 6 years for a premium antelope area. I was very satisfied with the unit I chose.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 78 Times in 26 Posts
    Down to deer and antelope points in WY, for all of us but my youngest son. We get him elk points too. Thankfully done with sheep and moose there. Started points there when they were all under $10, iirc. Cashing in points elsewhere as we change our hunt application strategy. Will still buy points in a few select states and focus on 2-3 opportunity type hunts where we can hunt often and learn an area.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 23 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Granby guy View Post
    In 2017 there were about 2,050 people with max elk points and about 150 max point holders drew out. If future years follow this trend then there is a 16 year backlog just to clear out the max point holders. There are about as many people with 1 less than max so there is another 16 years so it could potentially take 32 years for this group to draw out.
    Not a real inspiring thought.
    Holy absolute crap!! I wish I hadn't read that.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 493 Times in 64 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Schmo View Post
    Holy absolute crap!! I wish I hadn't read that.
    On top of that thought- the chances of the system staying the same for another 30 years is slim. Watering down of the point system will eventually happen.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 23 Times in 3 Posts

Yeah...I coulda drawn the special 3 years ago and actually saved myself some coin. As it were I now figure that it's best to just do the special this year as opposed to waiting and saying "I wish I woulda done the special back in 2018"...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123