Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wyoming daw strategy with new rise in tag/points cost

Hello guys.
    This is my first post here other than my introduction on the new member section.
    Do any of you out there think the cost of banking points has begun to exceed the threshold of feasibility?
    I guess I can see 5-6 years of investment being enough to keep in the game and wait a few more seasons. But what about you guys with 10-12 or even more?
    I am not the type to be able to justify spending all that money on points for what will never likely be any more of a chance at a real trophy. I see great pictures of bulls, bucks and they many times come out of a general unit.
    Sure in a perfect world we might have a better than average shot at a good animal in a limited quota unit. But I have found few if any garenties in hunting, let alone the world.
    Maybe some will rethink staying in the points only game. I think even an unsuccessful hunt is better than just buying points for years, dreaming of the perfect trophy you may or may not ever see.
    What do some of you think?
    Obviously, some general deer units in Wyoming take alot of points. Many can be had with just one or less, though and produce big bucks also for some lucky hunters.
    Some wait an awfully long time to finally put in the draw and could have been two or three times out by then.
    That seems like alot of missed memories to me.
    Sorry for the missed (r) in the word draw of the title.
    Hopefully the Grammer police aren't as unforgiving on this site as with some others.
    Would love to hear what some have to say on the subject of points banking and it's future.
    Last edited by Millsworks; 11-23-2017 at 08:42 PM.

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,255 Times in 1,002 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 157 Times in 71 Posts
    We probably won?t know much until after this year. Guy thinks this really won?t move the needle on odds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    www.eastmans.com
    blog.eastmans.com
    www.wingmen.us

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 161 Times in 53 Posts
    I tend to agree with Guy.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 152 Times in 28 Posts

Wyoming daw strategy with new rise in tag/points cost

I hunted leftover deer in general and a limited draw for cow elk this year. I actually hope that most people burn their points next year. I can take a year off from Wyoming to hunt elsewhere. Then hopefully in 2019 draw a better unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mathews Heli-m, 70 lb limbs, 29.5 draw, trophy ridge react pro 7 pin sight, qad hdx rest, axion 4 in stabilizer, 6 arrow quiver, cabelas stalker extreme arrow 4 in vanes, rocket hammerhead, tru-fire hardcore release

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 17 Times in 1 Post
    I could be wrong, but I don't think much of anything will change with the rate increases. Sure, a few hunters may change their game plan, but when you look at the overall costs for a hunt (travel, weapon, gear, food, etc.), the extra cost Wyoming is placing on licenses isn't going to keep most folks stop pursuing their passion (my opinion). I for one hated to see the increase, but have no intention of changing my plans to eventully hunting elk, deer, moose, sheep and antelope in Wyoming.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    All of my family has max or near max points for Elk/Antelope/Deer. I'll burn my Elk points next year, but there are no plans to burn any others, me or the other family members. We hunt every year without burning them but, I'd rather have them and not need them, than need them and not have them. At $120 for all three species, they're cheap.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 94 Times in 15 Posts
    I'll stay in the WY point game, but only accumulate enough pts. to draw the general tags. There has been a very slow creep in the general areas that I hunt; 3 for deer, 2+ for elk, and 5+ for pronghorn. I used the deer pts. in 2015, and the elk this year, so I will be back in the game soon. In the meantime, I can hunt OTC in CO, or even in some easy to draw areas with no points. I just used 10 deer pts. on CO, with no deer at the end of it, and have 10 elk pts. I found myself with zero tags in the past while trying to use the higher pts., and getting shut out, and will not attempt to accumulate as many again. If I was just getting into the game, I would recommend that you get points in the states that don't require a (non-refundable) hunting license to just get points, and to start hunting, and go for a tag every year somewhere.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 94 Times in 11 Posts
    I agree that the increases are not going to have any effect on draw odds. Those with a lot of points will stay in the game. I live and hunt deer and elk every year in Colorado so waiting for a premium Wyoming tag seems to make sense to me. If I couldn't hunt elk every year here then I would have to reconsider my plan. I have max points for deer and elk and have been applying for elk every year, just haven't been lucky enough to draw yet.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 3 Posts
    The increasing fees of non resident tags and points won't change the draw very much. But I do think it will get more people looking at just buying landowner tags and guide tags in other states.

10. The Following User Says Congratulations to Micah S For This Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RICMIC View Post
    I'll stay in the WY point game, but only accumulate enough pts. to draw the general tags. There has been a very slow creep in the general areas that I hunt; 3 for deer, 2+ for elk, and 5+ for pronghorn. I used the deer pts. in 2015, and the elk this year, so I will be back in the game soon. In the meantime, I can hunt OTC in CO, or even in some easy to draw areas with no points. I just used 10 deer pts. on CO, with no deer at the end of it, and have 10 elk pts. I found myself with zero tags in the past while trying to use the higher pts., and getting shut out, and will not attempt to accumulate as many again. If I was just getting into the game, I would recommend that you get points in the states that don't require a (non-refundable) hunting license to just get points, and to start hunting, and go for a tag every year somewhere.
    I myself agree with your outlook on it also. I plan to try to only apply for area's that generally requires 4-5 points or less for Wyoming as a non- resident.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast