Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Gypsum, Co
    Posts
    1,661
    Thanks
    106
    Thanked 591 Times in 440 Posts
    Congratulations
    18
    Congratulated 141 Times in 32 Posts

    I have a brother in law that whenever he would shoot a deer we would ask him about the liver, and his reply was always "I shot it through the liver." We then would ask him about the heart and get the same reply. It was strange that most of those deer would have a single bullet hole in them.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

  2. #12
    Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    4,067
    Thanks
    291
    Thanked 2,259 Times in 1,004 Posts
    Congratulations
    38
    Congratulated 158 Times in 72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimP View Post
    I have a brother in law that whenever he would shoot a deer we would ask him about the liver, and his reply was always "I shot it through the liver." We then would ask him about the heart and get the same reply. It was strange that most of those deer would have a single bullet hole in them.
    Yeah, that is an interesting reply...
    www.eastmans.com
    blog.eastmans.com
    www.wingmen.us

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3,539
    Thanks
    923
    Thanked 943 Times in 632 Posts
    Congratulations
    553
    Congratulated 403 Times in 73 Posts
    I do want to try the tongue, but brains????

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Gypsum, Co
    Posts
    1,661
    Thanks
    106
    Thanked 591 Times in 440 Posts
    Congratulations
    18
    Congratulated 141 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ivorytip View Post
    I do want to try the tongue, but brains????
    The best thing that I could suggest to you is to find someone that knows how to cook it and then pick up some beef brains and even some tripe and have them cook it and see what you think.

    I have had brains and can take or leave them. I also tried some tripe and that was a one time deal. Tongue on the other hand is quite good.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

  5. #15
    Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    4,067
    Thanks
    291
    Thanked 2,259 Times in 1,004 Posts
    Congratulations
    38
    Congratulated 158 Times in 72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimP View Post
    The best thing that I could suggest to you is to find someone that knows how to cook it and then pick up some beef brains and even some tripe and have them cook it and see what you think.

    I have had brains and can take or leave them. I also tried some tripe and that was a one time deal. Tongue on the other hand is quite good.
    I have never had the desire to eat brain. Just hasn't been something I thought was a great plan but my formative years were when CWD was first starting to make itself known.
    www.eastmans.com
    blog.eastmans.com
    www.wingmen.us

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Granite Bay, CA
    Posts
    369
    Thanks
    143
    Thanked 69 Times in 66 Posts
    Congratulations
    263
    Congratulated 38 Times in 12 Posts
    Thank you guys for your responses. Almost every part of animal is good if you know how to cook it. It is usually like mentally people don't want to eat something but when they try it without knowing what it is, they like it. I tested it on my mom, she liked everything I cooked until I told her what it is. You need to eat elk brain if you would like to be better elk hunter, you will think like elk when you eat its brain : )))

  7. #17
    Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    4,067
    Thanks
    291
    Thanked 2,259 Times in 1,004 Posts
    Congratulations
    38
    Congratulated 158 Times in 72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bghunter View Post
    Thank you guys for your responses. Almost every part of animal is good if you know how to cook it. It is usually like mentally people don't want to eat something but when they try it without knowing what it is, they like it. I tested it on my mom, she liked everything I cooked until I told her what it is. You need to eat elk brain if you would like to be better elk hunter, you will think like elk when you eat its brain : )))
    Hmmmm, not sure I can use that to justify hauling it out...
    www.eastmans.com
    blog.eastmans.com
    www.wingmen.us

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    514
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 142 Times in 108 Posts
    Congratulations
    12
    Congratulated 27 Times in 9 Posts
    I eat heart and liver, and just recently tried deer tongue. Didn't care for the tongue. Probably won't be eating brains or intestines any time soon
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Bend, Or
    Posts
    2,026
    Thanks
    492
    Thanked 518 Times in 400 Posts
    Congratulations
    209
    Congratulated 203 Times in 37 Posts
    Deer: backstraps into steaks, the rest into burger. No guts of any kind.
    Elk: backstraps into steaks, roasts, the rest into burger. No guts of any kind.
    I’ve only shot one antelope and a sheep. They both turned into pepperoni sticks, the only way they were going to be consumed by my family. I still have elk burger from my ‘15 elk.

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    idaho
    Posts
    1,435
    Thanks
    396
    Thanked 623 Times in 408 Posts
    Congratulations
    300
    Congratulated 82 Times in 28 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottR View Post
    I have never had the desire to eat brain. Just hasn't been something I thought was a great plan but my formative years were when CWD was first starting to make itself known.
    x 2 . could be that we were just born with enough brains to not crave more.lol.

    I would try most things once but brains is something I would not try
    AS GOES THE CHURCH, SO GOES THE NATION

 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •