Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 162 Times in 20 Posts

I'd go with the 300 win mag, got lots of different options on how you can load your rounds. My personal go to gun is a .338 win mag shooting 250gr Bergers and it's a tack driver at long range. Recoil is extremely manageable, even being a female I'm comfortable with it. Gun is muzzle broke though which the noise can bother most people, you'd have to make that decision yourself. The 06 is such a traditional round and is a driver for sure but I personally like to have a caliber that delivers a good bite. Overall, It's all going to boil down to your wants/needs and your expectations for the caliber of choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 14 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase0621 View Post
    I have a Viper Pst FFP 3-15 x 44 I will post a picture when I get it all set up...

any good scopes rings you all prefer?
    I'm using a 30-06 with a Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44 with FFP and the EBR-2C MOA reticle and I love the combination. I've used my rifle out to 400 yards and that scope tracks perfectly. I use the Vortex Precision Rings and have never had a problem with the scope moving. Inexpensive rings always cause headaches, scope movement and misalignment with the bore are the two most common problems I've seen.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 64 Times in 15 Posts
    Really, all are popular for a reason - they're very close and will do the job from antelope to elk.

At 400 yards with a roughly 145-150 gr Hornady Precision Hunter bullet, the velocity, energy and drop are:

6.5 Creedmoor 2206, 1587, -21.9"
    7mm-08 2173, 1573, -21.6"
    .270 Winchester 2306, 1714, -18.8"
    .30'06 2216, 1636, -18.9"

The bullets are not exactly the same in each case, which hurts the comparison, and the differences are pretty small, but the .270 has the most energy at 400 yards (my max comfortable range) with the least bullet drop and it is comfortable to shoot. And, I can get it in the Savage Lightweight Hunter at 5.65 lbs plus scope. Ammo is easy to find and I can cut holes with my .270.

But, the .30 '06 is really close and you can go up quite a bit in bullet weight, so for flexibility, I can see why people choose it and I have one of those too.

The Hornady table went to a different format for the 7mm Mag and .300 Win Mag so I couldn't include them, but they are significantly heavier to carry and unless I were hunting grizzly or moose, I wouldn't worry hunting anything else with a .270.
    Last edited by hoshour; 11-07-2017 at 12:07 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hoshour For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 79 Times in 27 Posts
    ok well I'm going go with the howa 30-06 rifle 22 inch barrel thanks for the help everyone.

you all ever tried a Howa rifle?
    Have two. Excellent rifles. New trigger is VG. Both are moa with favored factory fodder.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 79 Times in 27 Posts
    I have a Viper Pst FFP 3-15 x 44 I will post a picture when I get it all set up...

any good scopes rings you all prefer?
    My two fav systems are the Talley Alloy mounts where the base and bottom half of the ring are one piece, and S & K Kontoured rings/bases.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 61 Times in 23 Posts
    I often wonder if anyone reads the question before they start recommending rifles?

Why would anyone recommend a 300 WM when the guy is primarily hunting whitetails, with the occasional elk?

A .243 would be a better recommendation than a 300.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BuzzH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 141 Times in 21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzH View Post
    I often wonder if anyone reads the question before they start recommending rifles?

Why would anyone recommend a 300 WM when the guy is primarily hunting whitetails, with the occasional elk?

A .243 would be a better recommendation than a 300.
    When I was deciding on a caliber a friend kept saying, "get a 300 Win Mag...you need the extra power." I looked at the ballistics tables, and calculated weight and recoil. I will fully admit i'm a complete panzy when it comes to recoil at the range. Even purchased a LeadSled (good GOD, love that thing!!!). In the field I never feel the recoil...but on the range...no bueno.

My farthest shot to date has been 267 yards on a whitetail. Dropped like a stone. Most of my shots are 150 yards or less, but I do have my rifle set to 250 yard zero.

For me, the -06 is pretty much the perfect gun.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Daubs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,172 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 322 Times in 91 Posts
    Personally feel that a .243 is a shade light for elk. My son has one that is a tack driver and has killed several elk with it, that being said, you need to be a really good shot to get point of impact in the correct spot. My son hit a bull a little forward of the chest and hit a front shoulder. Bullet exploded when it hit the shoulder bone. Broke the leg, but took us awhile chasing it down. Bullet did not penetrate into the chest cavity. It would have eventually died, but who know how long it would take and how far it would have gone.

Just sayin...........
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 61 Times in 23 Posts
    Yeah, you need to hit about a 12 inch bulls eye on an elk...pretty tough with a tack driver.

Just sayin'...

Oh, and bullet selection matters too.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 62 Times in 13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    Personally feel that a .243 is a shade light for elk. My son has one that is a tack driver and has killed several elk with it, that being said, you need to be a really good shot to get point of impact in the correct spot. My son hit a bull a little forward of the chest and hit a front shoulder. Bullet exploded when it hit the shoulder bone. Broke the leg, but took us awhile chasing it down. Bullet did not penetrate into the chest cavity. It would have eventually died, but who know how long it would take and how far it would have gone.

Just sayin...........
    Yeah, I agree CC. A .243 will certainly kill an elk but big bulls are plenty tough and a .243 doesn't provide much margin for error. Much less chance of wounding one with a larger caliber.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast