Northern North East US ...not a masshole !
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

7 x 57 with 140gr AB

All,
    I have a buddy who is insisting on using a 7x57 for and elk hunt next year, no issues except that we dont have a load in mind. The rifle is the M700 classic model made in 1981, recently found new in the box ! A great find. The action is a strong modern action, the thought and relevance being we are not limited to load data produced for old rifles ?

I was thinking about the 140 gr accu bond as a nice bonded core bullet that has favorable ratings among some elk hunters. Also considering 150 and 160 gr bullets but we tend to give up trajectory(MPBR).
    My buddy will limit his engagement to 200 yards, being new to elk hunting this may get extended a bit due to the "best laid plans " rule ....

All thoughts and suggestions for this cartridge would be welcome !

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 26 Times in 3 Posts
    What's not to like about that? Nothing. I'd keep an open enough mind to let the rifle tell me what it likes but it seems like a great starting point to me.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 127 Times in 23 Posts
    My wife used the 140 Accu-Bond from a 7mm-08 on a bull moose. It worked well. It broke a rib going in, and was stopped by a rib on the other side. The damaged it caused in-between was impressive. The bull went 10 yards. The shot was 275 yards.

The bullet was very accurate from her rifle and I was confident in it, but I'm still a Partition fan.

As others will say, shot placement is everything!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 39 Times in 11 Posts
    The 7mm Mauser will work great on elk, and farther than you think he'll use it. In a modern rifle that you have to work with there are not flies on that cartridge. The 140 gr. Accubond should be superb. I've had great success with the Accubond in 30-06, 25-06, 6mm Remington, 300 WSM, and will soon be loading up for my .280 AI. If it doesn't work the 140 gr. Partition or E-tip would be worth a try. When I say doesn't work, that means the rifle doesn't like them for some reason, but I think you will find a load.

Post some pictures of the rifle and scope set-up!
    NRA Life Member
    RMEF
    Montana Wild Sheep Foundation
    Boone & Crockett Club
    Montana Bow Hunters Association

"One loves to possess arms though they hope never to."
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks
    Thanked 1,822 Times in 1,057 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 309 Times in 83 Posts
    You are probably too young to remember Jack O'Conner, the hunting writer for years for Outdoor Life. His wife Eleanor shot a 7x57 all over the world in the 40's, 50's & 60's. She shot an impressive amount of African game with it. I'm sure with your reloads, it will do fine. Go for it..................
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 152 Times in 34 Posts
    All my kids shot a 7mm-08 for deer and elk with a 140 gr Accubond. Your plan is solid.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 3 Posts
    140g Accubond out of my .270Win...... highly accurate and deadly bullets. Try em.... May this rifle you speak of will like them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 59 Times in 6 Posts
    I've been shooting a 7x57 since 1976 when I bought a Ruger M-77 in that caliber. I now own a Win featherweight in 7x57. Shot lots of deer back in upstate NY with the 139gr Hornady and 52gr of IMR 4350 in win cases. Shot a Mt goat in WA with a 140 nosler solid base bullet and that same load along with two caribou and some antelope.
    I've been shooting 120gr Barnes TS in it and they work great and see no reason not to use it on cow elk in the 200-250 yd range but a 140 gr Barnes may be a bit better but never used that bullet. I used the 120gr TS on a 200 lb. black bear and warthog and a water buck in Africa. Back in the 70's the 160gr speer, hornady and NP's were the bullets to use for elk and moose.

IMR 4350, 4831, mrp and win 760 are good powders for that caliber.

Enjoy, a great caliber but maybe I read too many O'Conner stories while sitting on the pot.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 17 Times in 1 Post
    I can't see why that wouldn't be a fantastic combination for about anything in the lower 48...7X57 with 140, 150 or 160gr pills...