Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 141 Times in 32 Posts

Are grizzlies affecting peoples decisions?

I noticed a trend of a few units that have had grizzly encounters appear to possibly have less people drawing for them year after year.

Do you guys thing that some people are giving up these areas or not applying to them simply because it is too dangerous to hunt them and or not worth the risk?

Just curious what you locals think.

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,002 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 157 Times in 71 Posts
    I know of many locals who have quit hunting in better quality unit because of bear encounters.
    www.eastmans.com
    blog.eastmans.com
    www.wingmen.us

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 493 Times in 64 Posts
    I know of several people that don't like to hunt in Grizzly areas... I'm one of them. On top of the danger, there is extra work and preparation when you hunt in a grizzly area that you don't have to do in other areas. That said, I have hunted NW Wyoming and will do so again in the future if the right tag is available.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,608 Times in 1,125 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 711 Times in 118 Posts
    I think I would be more likely to hunt those areas with multiple people but no way solo.
    ... because every picture tells a story

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    I think I would be more likely to hunt those areas with multiple people but no way solo.
    Go solo, it makes sleeping so much fun...

I know of one guy who sleeps with a pistol in his hand while in grizzly country.
    www.eastmans.com
    blog.eastmans.com
    www.wingmen.us

The mountains of Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 135 Times in 19 Posts
    A lot of my friends think I'm nuts for the amount of hunting I do solo in grizzly country.. but I have more experience and encounters than most as well. I have had numerous times where I was more than uncomfortable in the dark..i prefer not to overnight camp in grizzly country alone but will in areas I don't think they are as prevalent. I firmly understand my choices might end in a bad situation someday, but I'm not letting bears stop me from hunting where I want to.. last week I saw more grizzlies than elk in 3 days.. we moved areas after that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by mntnguide View Post
    A lot of my friends think I'm nuts for the amount of hunting I do solo in grizzly country.. but I have more experience and encounters than most as well. I have had numerous times where I was more than uncomfortable in the dark..i prefer not to overnight camp in grizzly country alone but will in areas I don't think they are as prevalent. I firmly understand my choices might end in a bad situation someday, but I'm not letting bears stop me from hunting where I want to.. last week I saw more grizzlies than elk in 3 days.. we moved areas after that.

How did your hunt end up? Shoot me a message, I want to talk more on article ideas.
    www.eastmans.com
    blog.eastmans.com
    www.wingmen.us

The mountains of Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 135 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottR View Post
    How did your hunt end up? Shoot me a message, I want to talk more on article ideas.
    Man, tough hunting.. we covered a ton of ground, 3 different camps and 2 mountain ranges.. definitely didn't get the weather I needed to hit the migration. But was able to get my buddy who came from out of state with his stock, a good 6x6, so I was at least glad he left with a good bull. This season has not been what I dreamed of for myself, despite nearing 50 days in the hills including scouting season... but that's how it goes some years.. thankfully I have a relatively easy late season cow tag for the freezer.. so I won't regret passing 3 younger 6 points earlier this season to much haha... I'll shoot you a message soon.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by mntnguide View Post
    Man, tough hunting.. we covered a ton of ground, 3 different camps and 2 mountain ranges.. definitely didn't get the weather I needed to hit the migration. But was able to get my buddy who came from out of state with his stock, a good 6x6, so I was at least glad he left with a good bull. This season has not been what I dreamed of for myself, despite nearing 50 days in the hills including scouting season... but that's how it goes some years.. thankfully I have a relatively easy late season cow tag for the freezer.. so I won't regret passing 3 younger 6 points earlier this season to much haha... I'll shoot you a message soon.

Sounds good. We had early migration over here, will tell you about when we talk.
    www.eastmans.com
    blog.eastmans.com
    www.wingmen.us

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

They sway my decision. I wish I was comfortable dealing with them, but I am not.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast