Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 159 Times in 53 Posts

Anybody want some stories on tent camping in Montana in November,,, I've thaw'd from last years hunt to discuss. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by BrettKoenecke View Post
    I don't really know what to make of it. We went to the Snowcrests last year. Stayed in a lodge and hiked every day, so we didn't sleep out. I frankly can't imagine sleeping out in Montana in November anyway. We hunted in pairs, had RINO's for communication, and had a horse packer lined up. Bought a Glock 10mm and carried it the first day, decided that was three pounds I didn't need to hump over the hills. Talked to a few others who'd seen bears, we saw some scat ourselves.

For us, on that trip, knowing they were out there made me feel like we were more invested, more alive. Looking at it now, we had prepared differently for it. I would definitely take the word of people who have had experience more than mine. I'm just saying what we did that was different. Would I go back? Hell yes.

As an aside, one day I came around a bend and found the biggest meanest looking hereford bull I've seen, and I have seen a few. Drop horns, ear tag, 2000 lbs if he was an ounce. I figured they left him til last, and planned to maybe get some cake and go back and load him up on his own terms. But then again, he might just be a bull that stays out all year. I've often wondered his story and how it ends.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 61 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottR View Post
    I hate to admit this, but it is kind of a rush. Being smart, being prepared and of course just doing a good job of keeping a REALLY clean camp makes it fun.
    I have to agree that it can be fun.
    Also, there have been Grizzlies in Alaska and Canada for years and folks hunt there all the time.
    I hunted for a few years in Alaska and didn't have any issues. Just be aware, keep a clean camp, carry bear spray or a weapon, etc. It seems like some folks are being overly cautious around grizzlies in the lower 48 ... or are there a higher rate of attacks down here?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 140 Times in 32 Posts
    I think that one of the problems with grizzley's down in the lower 48 is that they have never been hunted like they are up in Alaska and Canada and so they have zero fear of man. They have come to learn that a gunshot usually equals food of one type or another. Granted they have learned this also in areas up north.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JimP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have no problem schooling one if it becomes an issue

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonecollector For This Useful Post:

RJW

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 61 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimP View Post
    I think that one of the problems with grizzley's down in the lower 48 is that they have never been hunted like they are up in Alaska and Canada and so they have zero fear of man. They have come to learn that a gunshot usually equals food of one type or another. Granted they have learned this also in areas up north.
    Yeah good point, that's a big difference.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 26 Times in 3 Posts
    Lots of difference between being a rifle hunter out later in the year, and an archery hunter in September. Vegetation is down, easier to see, snow for tracking and seeing/determining what else is out there, you're not sneaking around and calling so much, you're carrying and ready to use a rifle. I'd approach things much differently over the two different seasons, even in the same country. I'm sure most do.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HUNT0352.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	20483Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HUNT0225 (2).jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	20484Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HUNT0209 (2).jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	20485

badgers, packrats, coons, etc dig under the decks on the house, but usually its grizzlies.

we varmint call around the house and the valley every night, when grizz comes in, and it's 5 or 6 times week that they are first ones in, we stand up let them know we are people.
    They run as soon as they realize it. the ones that do not run get a load of rubber buckshot and rubber slugs, or bean bag markers until they do run.
    this is considered illegal and harassing wildlife I am told.
    So be it, I live where grizz, lions and wolves are in my driveway and we live here on purpose, If I didn't like them around I'd live in Cleveland....but they will know their place in my yard, I have been given dominion over the animals, not the other way around.

anyone that avoids grizzlies because the bears don't fear them enough is not helping the problem one little bit. get out there coyote calling and make your first loads rubber, last ones lead, educate them so when they hit man scent, they go the other side of the divide and fast!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RJW For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I bivy camped eight out of 22 days in Northwestern Wyoming this past October. One night without even a tent.
    Never had a problem with bears.
    I did see lots of sighn in a few areas, but I personally feel as long as you keep a clean sleeping area the bears have little interest in human contact.
    Bears won't stop me from being where I want to be.
    Yes ,I camped and hunted alone except in base camp where I had friends meet me for the last 9 days of my hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mallardsx2 View Post
    I noticed a trend of a few units that have had grizzly encounters appear to possibly have less people drawing for them year after year.
    Which units specifically? I have 8 elk points, I have applied for "grizzly" units for a few years and have had no luck. In fact, it seems most units are point creeping. Just when I think i'll draw a tag, the minimum increases. I want to draw a great elk tag more than I don't want to hunt around grizzlies. I'm an archery hunter but like the idea of drawing a type 1, with the option to go back on a rifle hunt if I don't kill archery. It seems like most units that would have maybe 330"+ potential are either across the valley in the Bighorns (not many grizzlies I'm told?) or they are mostly wilderness areas, which presents a problem for me as a non-resident, DIY hunter.

Am I missing a unit that's in grizzly country without majority of the good hunting in wilderness that I could draw with 8 points??
    Team Backcountry

Thanks
    Congratulations

Quote Originally Posted by RJW View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HUNT0352.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	20483Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HUNT0225 (2).jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	20484Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HUNT0209 (2).jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	20485

I live where grizz, lions and wolves are in my driveway and we live here on purpose, If I didn't like them around I'd live in Cleveland....but they will know their place in my yard, I have been given dominion over the animals, not the other way around.
    Your probably safer NOT being in Cleveland anyway!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonecollector For This Useful Post:

RJW

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast