Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    1974.....I was 10 years old at the time. I still remember my dad going to the local gun shop in Riverside California and buying a Winchester Model 70 in .243. We would often go shooting out in "Pigeon Pass" near where we lived and I got to shoot the new rifle a few times which I thought was pretty cool.

That fall my dad had booked a hunt in the Wrangel Mountains in Alaska with Doug Vaden. My dad would be hunting moose, Dall sheep for my oldest brother (15 years older than I), and caribou for my brother in law. I was along as my dad's moose hunting sidekick. I had fun in base camp exploring, throwing road apples at the girl my age in camp, finding moose sheds, fishing for grayling and listening to stories around the dinner table. I still remember the outfitter telling us how when he first discovered the lodge building it was full of hair from hibernating grizzlies.

One afternoon we went for a horseback ride along the White River. After we had turned back towards camp we came across a lone caribou bull. My brother-in-law was asked if he wanted to take him and he decided to wait (later he killed a B&C bull!). My dad then asked me if I wanted to shoot it. Up to that point I had absolutely NO idea I was hunting. I took a "rest" prone over my dad and with his breathing the crosshairs were all over the place. A couple shots later I had my first big game animal ever. I later learned the outfitter had told my dad he enjoyed having kids along on the hunts and if my dad bought me a tag, the he would let me take a caribou for free. That was my first an only big game animal until I moved to Oregon at 18 years of age.

My dad cultivated my love for hunting and fishing. I've since lost my dad and mom in an auto accident in 1999. But I know that one day we will see each other again.

That's just cool right there!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Spudman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 5 Posts
    Great story...

1974.....I was 10 years old at the time. I still remember my dad going to the local gun shop in Riverside California and buying a Winchester Model 70 in .243. We would often go shooting out in "Pigeon Pass" near where we lived and I got to shoot the new rifle a few times which I thought was pretty cool.

That fall my dad had booked a hunt in the Wrangel Mountains in Alaska with Doug Vaden. My dad would be hunting moose, Dall sheep for my oldest brother (15 years older than I), and caribou for my brother in law. I was along as my dad's moose hunting sidekick. I had fun in base camp exploring, throwing road apples at the girl my age in camp, finding moose sheds, fishing for grayling and listening to stories around the dinner table. I still remember the outfitter telling us how when he first discovered the lodge building it was full of hair from hibernating grizzlies.

One afternoon we went for a horseback ride along the White River. After we had turned back towards camp we came across a lone caribou bull. My brother-in-law was asked if he wanted to take him and he decided to wait (later he killed a B&C bull!). My dad then asked me if I wanted to shoot it. Up to that point I had absolutely NO idea I was hunting. I took a "rest" prone over my dad and with his breathing the crosshairs were all over the place. A couple shots later I had my first big game animal ever. I later learned the outfitter had told my dad he enjoyed having kids along on the hunts and if my dad bought me a tag, the he would let me take a caribou for free. That was my first an only big game animal until I moved to Oregon at 18 years of age.

My dad cultivated my love for hunting and fishing. I've since lost my dad and mom in an auto accident in 1999. But I know that one day we will see each other again.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jay For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 405 Times in 74 Posts
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2017-07-19-13-05-56.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	9.3 KB 
ID:	19724Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2017-07-19-13-06-15.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	8.7 KB 
ID:	19725Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2017-07-19-13-05-27.jpg 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	19726Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2017-07-19-13-05-16.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	19727
    Here are some older ones that I have. I'm 36 so don't have any that are to old. That's my first bull elk in 1999, I remember driving up in my 1988 Subaru halfback car and hiking to top of mountain. Haha good times.my dad and brother rex with small bull and rex with a nice buck and brother Shaun and Rex with Rex's moose. Getting that entire body in the truck with a comealong was slick!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ivorytip For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 32 Times in 12 Posts

I got a little lump in my throat and a tear in my eye reading that. Your father is what I aspire to be with my sons.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CrimsonArrow For This Useful Post:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,216 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 717 Times in 122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ivorytip View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2017-07-19-13-05-56.jpg 
Size:	9.3 KB 
ID:	19724Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2017-07-19-13-06-15.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	8.7 KB 
ID:	19725Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2017-07-19-13-05-27.jpg 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	19726Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2017-07-19-13-05-16.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	19727
    Here are some older ones that I have. I'm 36 so don't have any that are to old. That's my first bull elk in 1999, I remember driving up in my 1988 Subaru halfback car and hiking to top of mountain. Haha good times.my dad and brother rex with small bull and rex with a nice buck and brother Shaun and Rex with Rex's moose. Getting that entire body in the truck with a comealong was slick!
    Great photos. The first pic of the deer is a nice one.
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ikeepitcold For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 204 Times in 38 Posts
    It was 1982 opening day fo my first Blacktail deer season. Dad gave me the rifle the night before and told me it was ready to go. He was a throw him in the water, he will learn how to swim kind of Dad. Well I killed this buck with the first shot I ever shot from this Winchester M70 25-06. Dad always had a “kill jug” on hand and that was the first day I took a swig of Black Velvet, “dang Dad that burns your throat!” I still hunt with that rifle today, my daughter and a couple other new hunters have also killed their first bucks with it. I don’t drink Black Velvet anymore but I sure did in my teens an early twenties. I wish I still had that 72 Blazer, he traded it for a Chevy Luv when he got into running hounds. I have the horns mounted on a plaque in my garage with this 8x10 picture by it. Maybe someone can flip it so it’s not upside down. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E5047E16-9DF9-4238-88FE-460D1FF00D06.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	19732
    Last edited by Timberstalker; 10-28-2017 at 07:17 AM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timberstalker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 204 Times in 38 Posts
    Keep them coming guys, I love old pictures and stories like these.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 295 Times in 48 Posts
    not that old, 1996. flew out of Dillingham, alaksa. drop hunt with a zodiac. Still using that rifle today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bou.jpg  

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tim For This Useful Post:

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,509 Times in 1,150 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 163 Times in 76 Posts
    I need to bump this one up again! This might be my favorite thread from the past year.
    www.eastmans.com
    blog.eastmans.com
    www.wingmen.us

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 63 Times in 12 Posts

Nice story. What a thrill for a young hunter!
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA; Member CRPA

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast