Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: What Caliber...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 116 Times in 28 Posts

I won it at a auction and just wasn't that interested in that caliber and figured that I would find someone that was, so it became a safe queen.

So now that I haven't found anyone that wants to try it out I'll get it out and see what it can do.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 61 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugz View Post
    Am I the only one that hunts with a 30-06 all the time I have 150 and 180 gr Accubond hot loaded hand loads.......sometimes I get really crazy and load up Partitions.
    You are not alone.
    I use my Model 70 Winchester 30-06 with 165 grain Noslers for everything.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 116 Times in 28 Posts
    I too have a trusty old 06 that was given to me when I was around 5 years old by a uncle. I used that rifle for everything from ground squirrels to elk and everything between. I would hate to actually think of the number of rounds that rifle has put down range either on targets or animals, but.........how boring life would be if we just struck to one caliber when there are so many out there. Some are better at things and some are worse but they all have a place in my heart.

I have retired that old 06, the barrel is shot out and I have no idea where the second shot is going to land. I thought about re-barreling it but decided to leave it as it is for the memories.

For other calibers I have a lot of them. Starting with the .22 center fires going up to a .338. They all have a place in my safe and they all have taken game animals. It is hard to say just which one is my favorite, perhaps it is the .340 Weatherby that went to British Colombia and Africa with me, it also took my largest elk and deer to date. But then there is the .26-06 that is quickly gaining a place in my heart and will be with me on my coues deer hunt this year in Arizona. There is also the 7mm Rem mag that I purchased to give the old 06 a rest. It has taken more game animals than most hunters will ever shoot at. Or even perhaps my dads old .300 Savage M99 that I used a couple of years ago to take a deer and then put it away after cleaning it.

There are way too many calibers and rounds but then that is what makes life fun. If you only have one and shoot it well then I'll tip my hat to you. But if you are also like me and have a safe full of them I'll do the same.

There is a old saying that goes something like this; be ware of a man that only has one rifle, for he knows how to use it.

I like to modernize it a little by saying; be ware of a man that has multiple rifles, for odds are he knows how to use all of them well.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 59 Times in 10 Posts
    All of this discussion about "lonely rifles" has inspired me to dig out my first 30/06, an H & R Ultra-rifle that I bought new in 1966. This is not your great grandpa's H & R but a limited edition rifle produced in the sixties using what H & R deemed to be the finest component parts from various manufacturers: FN Supreme Mauser action; Douglas select barrel; SAKO trigger; glass bedded in a Fajen imperial French walnut stock. Expertly assembled and tuned by some of the finest gunsmiths of that era. A beautiful gun that shot as good as it looked. Still shoots great after thousands of rounds down the pipe. I crowned it with a Weaver V-8 scope which it still wears. I have owned a number of 06 rifles through the years, but none that were able to woo me away from the H & R. I had retired it, but it may be time to rethink that decision.
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA; Member CRPA

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Myself custom 270 win. My wife, 25-06 rem Ruger NO.1b
    Friend 7x57 Ruger 77 tang . Other hunting partners 35 whelen and 30-06 will round it.
    It gets interesting around the campfire.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 9 Posts
    The same ole Winchester pre 64 model 70 in 270 cal I have been Using for 30+ years.
    I have taken everything from antelope , to moose. After my dall sheep hunt, the wood stock got abused and
    I restocked it with a D'Arcy Echols legend stock. It will be the last rifle I part with.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,822 Times in 1,057 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 309 Times in 83 Posts
    My very first big game rifle was a 30-06 03 military Springfield made in 1927 my Grandfather got from the NRA in about 1950. I still have it and use it as a backup. My primary deer/antelope rifles is a tang safety Ruger M77 in 25-06. I use a custom .300 Wby for elk & moose.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Springfield 003.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	20323

This is the fully customized 03. I made the Tiger Tail Maple stock as I shoot lefty and needed a stock. One of the first I made, about 100 more to follow.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 275 Times in 44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottR View Post
    I think I need to diversify...

It's all .30 cal options in my gun safe...
    just sold the only .30 caliber i got, a 30-06.
    my 338 has gotten the last 4 of 5 animals i have gotten in the last 2 years. but my 270wsm is a great all around rifle.
    both guns are m77 stainless with black synthetic stocks, and the same vx2 4x12 scope. both have timney triggers and the stocks lengthened to fit me. Basically my 2 hunting rifles are duplicates except for caliber.

I know pretty boring, but very effective.

I forgot about my m1carbine, so I guess I do have .30 in the safe. shit there is also the m1a.
    Last edited by tim; 12-11-2017 at 01:57 PM.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,547 Times in 1,084 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 703 Times in 115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    My very first big game rifle was a 30-06 03 military Springfield made in 1927 my Grandfather got from the NRA in about 1950. I still have it and use it as a backup. My primary deer/antelope rifles is a tang safety Ruger M77 in 25-06. I use a custom .300 Wby for elk & moose.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Springfield 003.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	20323

This is the fully customized 03. I made the Tiger Tail Maple stock as I shoot lefty and needed a stock. One of the first I made, about 100 more to follow.

That’s an awesome rifle.
    ... because every picture tells a story

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456