Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 199 Times in 44 Posts

Neighborhood predator

Saw this guy behind the house the other day when I looked out to see what all the ravens were doing out there. After they all left I went to see what they were eating and found the remains of someones dog. When the coyote left it took the head with it perhaps to give to pups in a den.
    Almost everyday we see posters from people who have lost their dog or cat. Even though we live in the desert mtn lions are regularly spotted as well. The edge of our town is only about 7 or 8 miles from the mountains.I can't believe they don't realize that leaving them out at night is like ringing the dinner bell.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0767.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	19568Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0768.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	19569
    When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money.

Cree Prophecy

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,941 Times in 770 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 88 Times in 51 Posts
    That's kind of crazy. Makes you wonder about the numbers of their more "traditional" prey. Is it low?
    www.eastmans.com
    blog.eastmans.com
    www.wingmen.us

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 51 Times in 9 Posts
    We have the same situation in California. When I leave for work early, I occasionally see a coyote trotting down the middle of the street, or hopping the neighbor's fence "trolling" for an easy meal. Earlier this year coyotes cornered the next door neighbor's very large yellow cat in our backyard. From the looks of things, he must have put up a good fight. Blood and tufts of cat hair were everywhere, and they left only the head. Most of the pet owners have learned to keep their pets inside. This old cat usually stayed inside, but somehow got out of their yard. Last month we had three reports on a mountain lion walking the streets. We are 1/4 mile from the Sheriff's station. Keep an eye on your pets and kids, and take your CCW when walking.
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA; Member CRPA

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 38 Times in 4 Posts
    CA is really bad. Last week on my way to work was a spike standing in the road being circled by two coyotes, on my way back home 2 foxes were running down the same roadway.
    Wife's cat went missing last week never to be found again.
    I'd assume it was foxes as they can fit thru the fencing, a coyote can't. Plus foxes are excellent climbers and prolly hopped the fence via a tree.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 199 Times in 44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottR View Post
    That's kind of crazy. Makes you wonder about the numbers of their more "traditional" prey. Is it low?
    Actually with all the rain and snow last winter we have an abundance of rabbits this year. I have counted as many as 14 cottontails eating holes in my lawn this year. I have seen the coyotes give chase to the rabbits but only for a few yards. I guess those pets are much easier to catch.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0426.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	19571Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0715.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	19572
    Last edited by Gr8bawana; 10-12-2017 at 04:55 PM.
    When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money.

Cree Prophecy

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,941 Times in 770 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 88 Times in 51 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gr8bawana View Post
    Actually with all the rain and snow last winter we have an abundance of rabbits this year. I have counted as many as 14 cottontails eating holes in my lawn this year. I have seen the coyotes give chase to the rabbits but only for a few yards. I guess those pets are much easier to catch.
    Wascally wabbits...
    www.eastmans.com
    blog.eastmans.com
    www.wingmen.us