Thread: Quilts

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 41 Times in 2 Posts

Quilts

Who's using a quilt these days? I'm always looking at ways to lighten my load but I wouldn't do so if the sacrifice was too great. Any real world reviews/opinions out there. I know there are some old threads on the subject so I was looking to hear some updated opinions. When I pack in I'm using marmot helium 20 degree bag. It looks like a quilt can save me about a pound. Just wondering if they are warm and comfy enough for SeptemberOctober high country living.

Opinions?

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,941 Times in 770 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 88 Times in 51 Posts
    I use a Kifaru Woobie for most of my scouting trips and it is good up until about the 30 degree mark. Brandon has been using the Kifaru Doobie for about a year now from Alaska to all over Wyoming. It has treated him very well.

Big Agnes' system with their pad and essentially a quilt works very well too.
    www.eastmans.com
    blog.eastmans.com
    www.wingmen.us

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScottR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 86 Times in 16 Posts
    I switched to one this year and did 8 days in it during our CO elk hunt. I have a 10 degree Enlightened Equipment Revolution quilt. I doubt I go back to a bag. With an insulated pad I sleep much better. I tend to toss and turn during the night and am a side sleeper. I never got cold even when it snowed and sleeted on us during the night.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tdcour For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 41 Times in 2 Posts
    Thanks for the replies.

TD, Do u know what the low temps were in Colorado?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 86 Times in 16 Posts
    My watch said it got down to 36 in my tent one morning. Not sure what it was exactly as I'm sure the watch is off some. I do know it was cold enough to frost/freeze a few nights. It never froze real hard, but enough there was some ice and frost when you got out from under the trees.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tdcour For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I use a custom quilt from Enlightened Equipment and a thermarest NeoAir insulated pad. The quilt is rated for 10 degrees and with the pad is quite comfortable down to that 10 degree mark. I wear my base layers at night under 30. Considering the weight and compact size of the pair, I will never go back to a traditional sleeping bag. My setup weighs 2-1/2 pounds. Add another 1-1/2 pounds for my tent (Six Moon Designs, Lunar Solo) and my entire shelter system weighs less than my old tent. I highly recommend quilts now

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Peakbagger For This Useful Post: