Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 65 Times in 9 Posts

Virginia To Wyoming 2017

I already posted a picture from my buck earlier in the week, but wanted to put up a full story after I got home.

Dad and I got into Douglas Wyoming around 10:00 Saturday after leaving my house at 8:00 Friday, and that's with the two hour time change. After unloading gear and getting something to eat, we headed out to do some scouting. We each had unit 29-1, and would be focusing on the thunder basin national grasslands in the northern end of the unit. We were a little discouraged by the number of goats we were seeing compared to what we saw on private land driving in. But after getting out and doing some walking, things starts to come together a little and left us with a plan for opening day.

First daylight found us where we last saw a buck and a few does the evening before. However a short period of glassing failed to turn up any antelope. We climbed a high point and found a small group with a buck in it. We put together a game plan and in a short distance found out just how good their eyes are. The second stalk had us working a larger group of antelope. I topped out on a ridge and spotted a buck I didn't know was there. I hit the ground and tried to get my dad up front but he insisted I shoot. The sage brush was too high for my bipod so in grabbed my shooting sticks. He was only about 160 yards but I was feeling all the excitement from two years of planning this trip and missed. He ran to the top of a hill and stopped to look back. I calmed myself down and this time at nearly 300 yards I dropped him with my new tikka 7mm-08 my wife had bought for me just a couple months ago. I walked up and laid hands on an antelope for the very first time.

We got on several other groups of antelope that day and dad had a miss but couldn't put it together. We located a group of antelope before dark and put them to bed and had a plan for the next morning. That plan worked perfectly and we almost had this buck in bow range right after daybreak. Not a monster but it was an easy shot and I was able to be right beside dad and watch him drop through the binoculars.

Now on to the does. We each had a doe tag in unit 9. This proved to be a little more difficult which I expected with the amount of tags for that unit. We hit a couple walk ins with no luck. On the third walk in I spotted a group of antelope which turned in to one of the hardest hunts I've ever had. I tracked the stalk on my OnX and it was a 2.19 mile stalk with all the circling and backtracking. I dropped this doe at 279 yards. Since we were further in, I also got my wish to pack an animal out.

The next morning found us on another walk in area. I quickly spotted another group of goats over a miles away. We came up with a plan and got in close but they were on the move. Fortunately my dad is one of the best shots I've ever seen on moving game and he dumped this doe at about 75 yards. We were also close to another road so I walked back and picked dad up on the other side.

The trip couldn't have worked out any better. I got to see 5 animals I had never seen before which included antelope, mule deer, elk, badger, and golden eagles. We came home with a lot of meat and a lot of memories. I can only hope to make the same trip with my kids one day. As far as equipment goes I will say one thing. OnX. It's the American Express of the west. Don't leave home without it.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50bowhunter For This Useful Post:

3. The Following 8 Users Say Congratulations to 50bowhunter For This Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    A few more pictures

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,719 Times in 1,020 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 303 Times in 78 Posts
    Well done!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 112 Times in 16 Posts
    Congrats on both of your success!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 127 Times in 15 Posts
    Looks like you had a great hunt with memories to last a lifetime!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 126 Times in 32 Posts
    That's awesome! Nice job! Congrats!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Congrats, and thanks for posting the story! Love reading success stories, and really anything about antelope. I'm getting ate up with it haha.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Nice! Congrats!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 3 Posts
    Thanks for the great photos and story. Sure hope to put my hands on one for the first time in a few days.

Thanks
    Congratulations

Quote Originally Posted by Yell Co AR Hunter View Post
    Thanks for the great photos and story. Sure hope to put my hands on one for the first time in a few days.
    Good luck. All I can say is go ahead and start planning your next trip because it's addicting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast