Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 10 Times in 1 Post

Could use a hand in WY

I've been in the backcountry for the last week in Unit 83 and have only seen one bull so far. I have three days left to hunt and I am trying to decide if I should pull up stakes and head somewhere else or muscle it out. I have a general elk tag and am a non-resident so no wilderness for me. Any tips or feedback would be greatly appreciated. I am down from BC and if I can offer any help in that area for someone in return for some local knowledge I'd be more than happy. I'm currently set up for backcountry hunting but could easily day hike from the truck if that would be better. Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I am not familiar with that area, so I can't offer any help other then; if you're not seeing animals, relocate and keep looking until you find them. Keep a positive attitude as well. And keep hunting until the last minute of your hunt. Don't give up! Good luck!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the motivation brother. It ain't over until I'm in the truck driving home!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 3 Posts
    Giving up is easy. It's even easier if your goal is to kill an elk. I know that sounds weird. Instead make your goal to stick it out to the end, looking for elk. Filling a tag would just be icing on the cake. This is my approach, because, if the going gets tough and my goal is to kill an elk, I'll quit. If my goal, elk or no elk, is to simply stick it out until I can't hunt anymore, I have much more success seeing elk and killing them.

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,929 Times in 759 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 88 Times in 51 Posts
    Get mobile! Seriously, when the weather is as crazy as it has been this year your bino's are your best friends.

Get on Get on Google Earth, find the 3 highest points around you and their related glassing points. Be there before dawn and glassing until the end of shooting light. 2:00 PM cows are notorious for wanting an afternoon snack. Look for the snow lines in the higher areas, elk follow them like the plague. Finally, read this article by Mike Eastman.
    www.eastmans.com
    blog.eastmans.com
    www.wingmen.us

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ScottR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 126 Times in 32 Posts
    "2:00 PM cows are notorious for wanting an afternoon snack"

Boy aint that the truth.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 69 Times in 14 Posts
    Snowy Range is mostly general and lots of elk. I know a couple of great spots for a PM if interested.

Thanks
    Congratulations

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I ran out of time and had to head home today. I'm going to see what I can do to make it back for s few days before the end of the season. If I do I'll touch base. Greatly appreciate the offer of help.

By the way your ons are full.