Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,373 Times in 953 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 562 Times in 96 Posts

Validating at the range

700 yards dead on small rock just below bush

1130 yards
    I did not make 3 moa correction for wind causing right drift of bullet. This was my 5th shot after 4 were high. Made corrections to get to this final shot. The wind was causing the bullet to rise. I stopped at this point to wait for better wind conditions which means no wind, lol. I was aiming at the flat shiny rock.

Had a good time shooting today. Making validation shots to insure the new G7 range finder is accurate. A few more trips and I'll know what or if I need to make adjustments to the programming to the G7.

FYI no way in this green earth would I hunt at these ranges only range shooting.
    Last edited by Ikeepitcold; 10-02-2017 at 10:25 PM.
    ... because every picture tells a story

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following 2 Users Say Congratulations to Ikeepitcold For This Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 1 Post
    Nice!! That's sure a sweet looking rig!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to droptine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 383 Times in 70 Posts
    Some good shooting!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ivorytip For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,719 Times in 1,020 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 303 Times in 78 Posts
    I really like the Reloader series powders. I use it in my .300 Wby, .257 Wby and .220 Ackley Improved Swift. Great for large capacity, overbore calibers the need slower burning powder.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 184 Times in 24 Posts
    looks like fun it would be fun shoting coyotes with that rig
    Trying like hell to live the dream,Nomad

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dustin ray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 94 Times in 17 Posts
    When I was in high school and first started bow hunting a guy at the shop where I bought my bow told me to practice shooting it at 80yds once I was hitting good at 20 and 30 yards. He said it would show me the flaws in my technique and if I was shooting a paper plate at 80 I'd be deadly at 40 when hunting. That was 20 years ago and bow technology wasn't what it is now, but he was right. It works for rifles too, I practice shooting far further than I'd shoot hunting, but that practice makes me better at shots I will take hunting. Little errors in form are magnified by distance.

Great shooting and a great looking rifle. I can't shoot that well that far, I'm a little jealous. Guess I need to keep practicing, I think my gun is capable when I get there.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mcseal2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,719 Times in 1,020 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 303 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcseal2 View Post
    When I was in high school and first started bow hunting a guy at the shop where I bought my bow told me to practice shooting it at 80yds once I was hitting good at 20 and 30 yards. He said it would show me the flaws in my technique and if I was shooting a paper plate at 80 I'd be deadly at 40 when hunting. That was 20 years ago and bow technology wasn't what it is now, but he was right. It works for rifles too, I practice shooting far further than I'd shoot hunting, but that practice makes me better at shots I will take hunting. Little errors in form are magnified by distance.

Great shooting and a great looking rifle. I can't shoot that well that far, I'm a little jealous. Guess I need to keep practicing, I think my gun is capable when I get there.
    I do a lot of competition shooting (yes... even at 75 years old!) and travel all over the western states shooting. I practice several times a week. There is no substitute for range time!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by mcseal2 View Post

Exactly why I shoot long range at the range. I enjoy it and it has also kept me shooting better at hunting range.

A couple years ago I had some issues with shooting low off of a back pack. This forward flinch made me miss many shot opportunities. Realizing the issues were caused by bench shooting and not being out in real hunting scenarios. So now I shoot with a Harris Bipod and a butt rest, this has cured my flinch. I have a Harris bipod that extends out 27" and in most cases with get the rifle above sage brush and allows for a sitting shot.

All of these things good and bad have all come from practice. I am a true believer and shoot a lot all year long. Some guys that pull their rifle or even bow for that matter, go out and shoot for an hr and think they are ready to hunt boggles my mind.
    Practice, Practice,Practice!

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ikeepitcold For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 94 Times in 17 Posts
    I live on a family ranch and have a makeshift 100yd range (picnic table and pallet to hold a target) in my yard. I reload in the basement and can test loads 20yds from my back door. I shoot a lot and love to practice. I have a 10" gong and another target pallet a mile and a half from the house I can shoot to 700yds. I enjoy rock shooting in the spring too after we burn pasture but before the grass gets to tall. Coyotes keep me practiced up too, if you can hit them regularly when they stop for an instant to look back, you can hit game.

I really like the Rapid Pivot Bipods in our taller grass here. The Harris I have isn't tall enough. I can shoot up to kneeling from the Rapid Pivot and they detach easily for carrying the rifle. I took my coyote calling AR out last year practicing from field positions and found the attached bipod let me hit 12oz cans 60 to 80yds further than I could from just shooting sticks sitting and kneeling. I think being able to load up the bipod a bit and not have to hold the sticks from slipping helped.