Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,822 Times in 1,057 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 309 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimP View Post
    I might have to find some and try it in my 1860 Army.
    If you are ever down my way, I'll give you a pound. I have about 25# in inventory right now. I'll probably use most of it next year cowboy shooting.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 39 Times in 12 Posts
    The APP was firing every time, you could see it still burning after it left the barrel. My breach plug was brand new so no fouling. The APP was 100gr by volume.

I did read back 6 years of post on muzzleloading here before making this post.

I changed to blackhorn 209 powder and cci magnum shotgun primers per blackhorns request for their powder. 100grain by volume per my TC powder holder and 72 grains on the scale with zero issues. Out to 100yds with groups 1.5 in. Which will get better. Sighted in two rifles with new scopes before this.

I ended up firing the APP FFFP powder with the cci primers with no issue for 3 rounds at 50yds holding a tight group.

I also tried 777 Winchester primer and Remington's primers both muzzleloader primers. With the same fizzle shoots every so many loads on a previous range day. I really think the primers were the issue. But I plan to stay with blackhorn 209. Those cci primers woke that gun up.

My first deer was taken in 90's in Iowa with a Muzzleloader, so I want to go back to shooting them more.

If someone reads this make sure you have the right breech to use 209 cci primers. It's on Blackhorns site for reference.

I do have a pound and a half left of the APP which might get dropped off to co cowboy when I go skiing this spring.

Thanks for all the input and happy hunting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 116 Times in 28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    If you are ever down my way, I'll give you a pound. I have about 25# in inventory right now. I'll probably use most of it next year cowboy shooting.
    If I get down that way I might take you up on your offer. My only problem is that since I retired I just don't get down that way anymore and it was very seldom when I was working.

You found a gem of a retirement area, but it is a little out of the way for most folks.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JimP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,822 Times in 1,057 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 309 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Kabob View Post
    The APP was firing every time, you could see it still burning after it left the barrel. My breach plug was brand new so no fouling. The APP was 100gr by volume.

I did read back 6 years of post on muzzleloading here before making this post.

I changed to blackhorn 209 powder and cci magnum shotgun primers per blackhorns request for their powder. 100grain by volume per my TC powder holder and 72 grains on the scale with zero issues. Out to 100yds with groups 1.5 in. Which will get better. Sighted in two rifles with new scopes before this.

I ended up firing the APP FFFP powder with the cci primers with no issue for 3 rounds at 50yds holding a tight group.

I also tried 777 Winchester primer and Remington's primers both muzzleloader primers. With the same fizzle shoots every so many loads on a previous range day. I really think the primers were the issue. But I plan to stay with blackhorn 209. Those cci primers woke that gun up.

My first deer was taken in 90's in Iowa with a Muzzleloader, so I want to go back to shooting them more.

If someone reads this make sure you have the right breech to use 209 cci primers. It's on Blackhorns site for reference.

I do have a pound and a half left of the APP which might get dropped off to co cowboy when I go skiing this spring.

Thanks for all the input and happy hunting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Have you ever tried Thor bullets. That is what I use. They make bullets that vary in diameter by .001. They send you a "try" kit of different bullet diameters so you can find the one that fit the bore diameter best. Made a lot of difference in my T/C Pro Hunter accuracy.

If you get down here skiing, let me know and i'll meet you for lunch.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 123 Times in 27 Posts
    I had a misfire using BH209 a couple years ago. Never had one since. It could have been moisture in my powder or a weak primer.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dustin ray View Post
    Try blackhorn 209 and triple 7 bore cleaner and how much powder are you useing on my TC i shot 90grains by weight with 300 grain powerbelt
    Hi Dustin, wondering what the recoil is like shooting 90 grains of BH 209? I shoot 70 grains by weight from my Bone collector and it really jumps.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Like some others have said- go to Blackhorn 209 and don't look back.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 2 Posts
    I just got back from my eastern plains muzzleloader deer hunt. I never pulled the trigger on anything, I was way to picky. I did only load powder once and only shot it after being in the barrel for 9 days. This is the first time that I have ever done this more than a few days. I always wanted to experiment and see what would happen. This was a windy dry weather hunt. I probably wouldnt do this if we had any moisture. The triple 7 launched the bullet ( 295 grain powerbelt ) right on target.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12