Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 81 Times in 4 Posts

Ando_31, I don't own a compound bow and haven't since the early 80's. Never give owning a compound a second thought. I have long ago accepted the challenge of the recurve and accept what I can shot at and what I can't. Under 30 yards I find the recurve shot instinctively a fine weapon, over 30 yards, as I said I've learned to accept I can hunt him another day. The recurve also gives me a great amount of self-satisfaction knowing I have purposely challenged myself to the ultimate to harvest an animal. I hope that doesn't sound arrogant or conceited, but that is how I like to hunt.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to schlaggerman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 61 Times in 12 Posts
    Great buck, especially with a recurve, congrats!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 27 Times in 10 Posts
    Congratulations, heck of a deer. The bighorns in my experience makes it even tougher for a buck like that. A recurve shot instinct can be a smooth deadly weapon if you practice enough to become "one" with the bow.
    NRA Life Member
    Colorado Bowhunters Life Member
    Nebraska Bowhunters Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 142 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schlaggerman View Post
    Ando_31, I don't own a compound bow and haven't since the early 80's. Never give owning a compound a second thought. I have long ago accepted the challenge of the recurve and accept what I can shot at and what I can't. Under 30 yards I find the recurve shot instinctively a fine weapon, over 30 yards, as I said I've learned to accept I can hunt him another day. The recurve also gives me a great amount of self-satisfaction knowing I have purposely challenged myself to the ultimate to harvest an animal. I hope that doesn't sound arrogant or conceited, but that is how I like to hunt.
    It doesn't sound arrogant at all. I feel any deer, especially a buck of the caliber you took, with the recurve is a heck of an accomplishment. Strictly from a personal standpoint, I'd have to be far less picky than I am if I only were to use the stick and string or I'd end up empty handed more often than not (I still end up empty handed more often than I'd like with the compound). Seeing your accomplishment does reinvigorate my recurve passion. My bow season ending early is always a depressing feeling anyways (ND season runs mid Sept-first weekend in Jan). Maybe this is the year!

Again, Congratulation

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 47 Times in 9 Posts
    Awesome Buck. Congrats!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 81 Times in 4 Posts
    Ando_31, Yes, shooting a stickbow instinctively does require more dedication, but it is a labor of love. I usually shoot 3-4 times a week 52 weeks out of the year. We have an indoor traditional only night at our archery club during the winter months. I have found as I have gotten older I have had to reduce my bow weight and shorten my practice sessions or the body lets me know I'm over doing it. I have found the new so called " super recurves" can prolong an archers career. They offer a smoother draw and almost a feeling of "let-off" at the end of the draw cycle, plus they propel an arrow like a bow weighing 5 pounds heavier. For your information I was shooting a Hoyt Satori riser with Uukha VX1000 limbs at 50lb. draw weight. This limb design is one of the so called "super recurves".

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 26 Times in 3 Posts
    Really nice deer. Congrats!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Congrats, nice buck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12