Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

OTC Non Resident Elk Hunt

Looking for some help with an OTC non resident tag in Idaho. Hoping some of you are willing to throw your 2 cents in on some areas to begin our research. Willing to do some hiking to get away from the crowds.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 86 Times in 17 Posts
    I have been doing some of the same research having just moved to ID. There are elk in all the units. More than anything you probably need to decide what kind of terrain and hunt you want. Steep jungle, mixed open and trees with more rolling terrain, remote backcountry by foot, horseback, truck camp, tent, cabin, hotel. Once you decide what you want out of terrain and access then you can look at areas that meet those goals. Lots of areas have been affected by wolves, and there have been a lot of fires this year too. From the reading I've done and talking to people here, the glory days of above goal elk populations, few predators, and modest hunting pressure from the 1990s and early 2000s are gone. ID like CO has become a fallback state for many who don't draw elsewhere and for that reason, along with resident population growth will have most playing their hard won information very close to the vest.

Set some parameters for terrain, access and accommodations as well as seasons and weapon type then look at areas that fit those.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I live in Northern Utah and I am wanting to start hunting Idaho. Preferably next to the Utah Idaho border. I am interested in the OTC draw and like stated above, if anyone is willing to help with my research and in getting started, it would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to PM me. Thank you.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 34 Times in 15 Posts
    double post
    AS GOES THE CHURCH, SO GOES THE NATION

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 34 Times in 15 Posts
    AS GOES THE CHURCH, SO GOES THE NATION

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,373 Times in 953 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 562 Times in 96 Posts
    The game definitely has changed. We used to hunt South East Idaho with some success. The last couple years there was so many hunters it was insane. The country is beautiful but elk are far and few between. They are there no doubt but the crowds were to much for me with the OTC tag.
    ... because every picture tells a story

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If someone wants something bad enough, you will find a way to accomplish it.

Do your research via F&G Regs, and then get out and put boots on the ground and scout A LOT. It may take several years to learn a unit, but it can be done. This is the 3rd state I've lived in and this is the most successful plan I've had. Very little info given on forums and even less from locals. Best research is your own. It takes time, but it is also the most effective.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Spudman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    The game definitely has changed. We used to hunt South East Idaho with some success. The last couple years there was so many hunters it was insane. The country is beautiful but elk are far and few between. They are there no doubt but the crowds were to much for me with the OTC tag.
    Same thing is going on around Salmon, been hunting there since 1983. Now there are so many ppl and the wolves have changed the game also.