Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 4 Posts

2018 WY Antelope? 5...6 points

How's WY Antelope herd doing? I suppose more info will be known pretty soon.

Just realized I'll have 5 points going into 2018 for WY antelope, I have 5 now, so I think that means I'll have 6 If I apply in 2018.

I'm wondering what the best units require for points and whether to think about cashing them in sooner than later, or if I'll have to wait for the best units and a good moisture year/winter?

Thanks for any insight, especially more in the coming months for hunters afield...

I've hunted WY antelope 3x.? Think my next WY hunt I want to be in 1 of the best units.

Additionally: Open to special tag/lottery
    Last edited by HuskyMusky; 09-08-2017 at 05:19 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 117 Times in 29 Posts
    You have another 5 or 6 years for the better units.

I'm in the same boat that you are and my hunting partner isn't getting any younger so we might be looking at the special draw next year to get into a good unit, not the best unit but one of the better ones. Right now we are looking at unit 93 special.

Here is a post that I started a few months ago on the same subject.

http://forum.eastmans.com/showthread...Antelope-Hunts
    Last edited by JimP; 09-08-2017 at 04:59 PM.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JimP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 70 Times in 15 Posts
    There are plenty of great units to hunt with 5 pp. The central and SC part of the state have great antelope hunting and populations are doing fine right now.
    The special draw will open up more areas with the extra cash it takes
    With app period well into next year wait and see what the winter has in store for us.
    Great chance at a really nice buck in non blue chip units. Your points should get you into an area with good public access. Many may burn their PP with the price increase to get out of the PP game in Wyoming.
    My B&C buck came from an area with limited public access.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wy-tex For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 70 Times in 14 Posts
    I had a good hunt south of Pinedale w/ around that many points a couple years ago. Didnt' see anything over 80 though....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 4 Posts
    6 points will get you onto some solid units. The "top-tier" units would not be worth the wait in my opinion. In the amount of time it'll take you to draw those units, you could build up enough points to have gone on 2 great hunts in units that are not considered top-tier but have plenty of access and trophy potential to get your money's worth. Waiting 5+ more years to hunt a unit where the bucks MIGHT average an extra inch makes little sense to me. Any unit that requires at least 5 points will yield a great hunt. Many requiring less would be solid, too.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jtm307 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 2 Posts
    I'm about in the same point as you. 7 points antelope, 5 points deer, and 1 point elk. We'll see what next year brings for the adventures. I lived in Alaska for 4.5 years and still have friends there, so I'm getting the moose/caribou itch again. I also play the points game in other states too.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do. I've only hunted antelope once in WY and it was second choice unit, so I don't have much insight for you.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 268 Times in 35 Posts
    Even though we have hunted antelope many times, the two biggest antelope taken by my family have come from very marginal antelope units, both in Western Montana. I've also hunted some premium units and put in some exceptional effort and not find the buck I want to take. The point is, I think a lot of units (particularly in Wyoming!) hold some exceptional bucks and your best asset is a lot of time (10+ days) when the bucks aren't pressured (after the second weekend) and be prepared to look over a pile of bucks (like in the hundreds if needed). The biggest issue I have to get over, is pulling the trigger on a buck I find myself second guessing on..."let him walk"..."take him"...."let him walk". I think next time in Wyoming, I'd love to do a 2+ week hunt, in a prime year of winter/spring weather, on a solid mid-tier Wyoming unit. Take GPS coordinates of the best bucks (they tend to have a home range) and photographs though the spotter to review at night on the laptop. I'd also take my fishing pole, take some time off to sleep in, go out for a ribeye steak and maybe soak in a hot spring and allow myself to fully enjoy the process.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 10-05-2017 at 07:23 PM.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 10 Posts
    A solid plan UH
    I think some of the problem with chasing those "top" units, is nothing is static.
    By the time most get to hunt them, they are not the "top" units anymore.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 480/277 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 94 Times in 15 Posts
    That's a great plan UH. My biggest issue with my western hunts has always been accommodating my hunting partner's schedules. I just got back from 13 days in CO where I burned my 10 pts. on a solo MZL deer hunt. I didn't shoot anything, but still considered the trip to be one of the more enjoyable outings of my life. For those who are still working, have kids at home, and a wife who still likes having you around, then it becomes a lot harder to pull off a trip like that.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to RICMIC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 89 Times in 25 Posts

I'm done waiting exorbitant years for potentially a few inches more of bone for any species. After 20 years of that, I've found most of those to be not worth it. I do mid tier stuff to assure I get a decent hunt and that's it. Headed to Wyoming for lope myself tomorrow. Burned 4 points for an under the radar unit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast