Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 493 Times in 64 Posts

Pre-Prepared Camp Meals

I'm in the middle of preparations for my Wyoming hunt Oct 6th-15th. Plan to stay on the mountain the majority of the hunt and am planning to pre-make most of my meals. I'm looking for ideas that others have done in the past. What are some of your favorites?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 141 Times in 32 Posts
    I hardly ever use pre-prepared meals when I am hunting, I found that they usually take up too much room in the coolers unless it is just for one or two people.

But some of the better ones that I have done are chili, and different kinds of soup. We always preboil potato's and shred them to be used at breakfast or dinner as hash-browns. A friends wife also makes killer breakfast burritos that are wrapped up in tinfoil where you can either eat them cold or throw them in a fire for a few minutes to warm up.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JimP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 493 Times in 64 Posts
    I'm not too worried about cooler room- just time to cook. I'll be out of camp by 5:30am most mornings and won't get back until after 8pm each night. Pre-done meals will hopefully save quite a bit of time. I have a lit of ones from the past- just looking for new ideas.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 268 Times in 35 Posts
    The last few years my wife and I have been carrying prepared vacuum packed meals in on our hunts in a small chest freezer. We use these meals for both lunches and dinners. We use dry ice for the first few days in the field, then the generator in the camper (a few hours a day) to keep things frozen for a few days and finally we move the remaining items into the camper refrigerator for the last few.

Starting a month or so ahead of the hunt, we begin to prepare larger than normal portions of dinner and vac pack and freeze the leftovers.

Meat sauce is really great because it requires minimal space in the freezer since most of the bulk comes from noodles that just need boiled at dinner time.

BBQ boneless chicken thighs

BBQ Bacon Birds (4 ounce football shaped burgers wrapped with bacon)

Hearty Soups/Stews

On the way home, the small chest freezer carries the processed meat.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 36 Times in 11 Posts

Yeah, I like soups, too. Like above, crockpot a big batch, freeze it in ziplock bags serving size. Vacuum bagging is another thing I need to get going on. Still haven't gotten that far. They kindof thaw in the cooler then you can heat them up pretty quickly, enough to get them in a thermos or something for the daypack or whatever. I also like cabbage burgers and hot pockets homemade with whatever, ham, broccoli and cheese is a good one. I think the tortillas or dumpling type things pack better than bread sandwiches and taste ok cold. Mostly I am just following this because there were some good ideas that I have forgotten about.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Againstthewind For This Useful Post: