Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 123 Times in 27 Posts

Stuck in a rut with archery- Advice Welcome

I was shooting last night and took a beer break and realized that I have been shooting a bow for 30 years.

I have shot about the same accuracy for the last 15 years.

I can take my bow outside and shoot a 8" group at 60 yards on any given day.

This is a hunting bow setup. Matthews Heli-m Gold tip hunter arrows spot hogg real deal 5 pin (.019)

Other than getting a 1000$ target bow and 150$/6 new arrows does
    anyone have any advise to take it to the next level?

Any target shooters out there have any advice?

Has anyone else felt like they have just topped out with their current setup?

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 948 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 152 Times in 67 Posts
    Since you are a Mathews guy, my first thought is move up to a newer bow. They have made big improvements, especially in the speed/forgiveness areas. The Halon shoots great and I have seen the guys here bring groups at 60 yards in tighter, some beyond that distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    www.eastmans.com
    blog.eastmans.com
    www.wingmen.us

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ScottR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 484 Times in 63 Posts
    Practice at extreme ranges has helped me tighten groups up at the "shorter ranges". After a round at 100 yards, 60 feels so much easier. What rest are you using?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Rip Cord Arrow rest

Honestly the best groups I ever shot in my life came from a Reflex Express set at 65 pounds with a HHA 1 pin adjustable and a bodoodle pro lite rest with carbon fat shaft arrows. I could hit a pie plate every shot at 80 yards. Loved that setup. Then I sold it cause I missed a huge buck with it. lol

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Also I might add that I will NEVER go back to a 1 pin adjustable sight...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 484 Times in 63 Posts
    Rest should be fine. Assuming your bow is in perfect tune I don't think there are any easy answers here other than fine tuning your form and tons of repetition. I don't shoot near as good as I used to 100% because I don't invest the time like I used to. Maybe other will have ideas? Some people claim amazing improvements by switching to different kinds of releases... I can't say because I love the trigger style and have no plans to switch. Good luck

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Tough call, good points in the posts so far. Yes A new bow can be more forgiving and allow you to shoot better. From what has been stated thus far, I would also have you think about going to a .10 sight. I think it helps in giving you better sight picture especially at longer ranges. I truly believe that this falls into the "aim small, Miss small" mindset.
    I upgraded bows last year after I had killed all three key species here in Wyoming. I didn't think that I had peaked out in my accuracy but have been more than pleased that my shooting has gotten much better with the new bow.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 2 Posts
    Not sure where you are located, but go to a pro shop and find a pro and pay some $$ to get some lessons and make sure your bow and arrows are in tune and meant for each other.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 8 Posts
    I'm in the same boat you are, almost to a "t". I just think some guys have an innate ability to shoot a bow with extreme accuracy, and I'm not one of them. Doesn't keep me from filling a lot of tags, though.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonArrow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 142 Times in 11 Posts
    I second the lessons idea. It doesn't take much of a misalignment in your arm, stance, line of sight, or torque to make a 8" difference down range....but at the same time, I don't think I've ever had the perfect hunting opportunity to make sure everything is 100% lined up. I've taken many shots from sitting, kneeling, hunched over, aiming up, and aiming downward. I think all those make a big difference in your consistency downrange. I wouldn't dwell on it to much if I were you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast