Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 47 Times in 9 Posts

300 Win Mag Reloading

I just purchased a new Tikka T3X Lite in 300 Win Mag. I haven't shot it yet (waiting on the glass to arrive) however I was wondering if anyone had any insight on some good places to start as far as hand loads go. I am fairly partial to Hornady, however I am open to try other things. I have heard the Tikka doesn't like the ELD-X bullets very well. Has that been the case with anyone with experience? Does anybody have any good powder/bullet combos that have worked well in the Tikka rifle? I will stick by the book for recipes, its just that their are hundreds of combinations and I don't really feel like dropping a small fortune to get a good load combo. I plan on shooting 180 grain bullets.

Also any advice on reloading magnum ammo? I have reloaded 223 to 30-06 but this is my first magnum rifle so i was hoping I could learn any tips and tricks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,906 Times in 1,093 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 312 Times in 85 Posts
    Generally speaking, the large capacity cases like slower burning powders. I load for a .300 Wby and it took me awhile to really get it to shoot. I use Reloader 25 and 180 Gr Nosler Partition bullets. Look in you reloading manual and make a list of the recommended powders and if you have any buddies who reload, get enough powder from them to load 8 or 10 rounds. (save you from buying a lot of extra powder).

Remember one thing...no two rifles are alike, even same brand & caliber, so what works for one reloader, may not be right for your rifle.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 26 Times in 3 Posts
    Powders have changed lately and for the better. I would encourage you to take a look at RL-23 and RL-26. They are fairly new, relatively speaking cutting edge powders. Dope on them is at the alliant powder website.

For example I was loading for .270 Win, 150 Nosler Partitions using IMR 7828 and getting about 2920fps. Not bad but nothing to crow about either. Tried some RL26 and easily getting 100fps more out of the combo, with added temperature stability as well.

My .264WM performance has trended in the same direction using RL-33, which probably isn't for your .300WM, but the same proposition applies.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 26 Times in 3 Posts
    You asked for tips on loading magnum. I would always use a magnum primer for a .300WM. I use magnum primers a lot, given where I live and how cold it is when I hunt, FWIW.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 160 Times in 53 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettKoenecke View Post
    Powders have changed lately and for the better. I would encourage you to take a look at RL-23 and RL-26. They are fairly new, relatively speaking cutting edge powders. Dope on them is at the alliant powder website.

For example I was loading for .270 Win, 150 Nosler Partitions using IMR 7828 and getting about 2920fps. Not bad but nothing to crow about either. Tried some RL26 and easily getting 100fps more out of the combo, with added temperature stability as well.

My .264WM performance has trended in the same direction using RL-33, which probably isn't for your .300WM, but the same proposition applies.
    Excellent Advice.
    I don't personally use it, but have friends who do and agree the Reliant powders are the new standard. Give them a look.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    My Tikka 300 wm.. Likes H4831 180 grain to 200 grain.. Every thing over 200 gets H1000... Fed 215 primers... Mine like 180 and 200 grain accubonds.. 200 and 210 bergers... The 210 bergers are shot out of the clip. I hear the 300 wm like reloader 22... Never tried it though... Hope this helps...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 47 Times in 9 Posts
    Thanks for the information everyone. I now have some starting points.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 3 Posts
    I am loading H1000 with Berger 185 VLD hunting at .020 off the lands and getting absolutely fantastic results. I cant remember my exact powder charge off the top of my head.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 27 Times in 4 Posts
    I'm a bit partial to IMR4350 and a Nosler Accubond 180gr or a Hornady SST in the same weight...and working up a load for a buddy with the same model rifle you have.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,906 Times in 1,093 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 312 Times in 85 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EOHunter View Post
    Thanks for the information everyone. I now have some starting points.
    Don't forget to completely clean the copper fouling out of the barrel before you start testing. Then shoot a fouling round thru it. Start test after this is dome.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast