Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 152 Times in 34 Posts

So I'm gonna
    1) glass the serviceberry, choke berry scrub oak line of transition and lower.
    2) hunt an area we always knock a cow down in muzzleloader over a kill site hopefully.
    3) fold in the rabbit in distress method

Should be interesting.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 10 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gonhunting247 View Post
    Fall is definitely tougher than spring, but it does work sometimes. I've had way more success during the spring, but have killed a couple bears in the fall while calling also! In most cases I've seen the bear, but can't relocate him. So I sneak in close with the wind in my favor and call. My percentage of response is pretty low during the fall though! Another thing I noticed is that I haven't had any come in aggressive in the fall, like they do in the spring. They just meander in kind of curious like. At least so far, for me anyway. I use a simple rabbit in distress call and wail away, trying to sound as pitiful as possible . I think what wa-hunter said is exactly right, the more good food they have in front of them the harder they are to get interested and I guess rightly so. Good luck with calling, when it works, it can really be exciting!
    I've never heard of anyone doing this successfully in Price County Wisconsin where I live and hunt, also hopefully have a tag next year. We have some trophy bear on camera and typically bait sit or run with hounds. I wonder if this method would be effective in our thick swamps/woods

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Called in two cougars when calling for bears in Unit 80. Just sit where your back is up against a good backstop as they sneak in on you.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to troutrepublic.com For This Useful Post:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,549 Times in 1,085 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 703 Times in 115 Posts
    How did your calling go Slugz?
    ... because every picture tells a story

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Seen my most and largest bear that way

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 152 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    How did your calling go Slugz?
    sorry....I think I put my bear comments under my NW Colorado Elk report thread.
    Un- nerving (sp) is the word to describe it. So I patterned a big cinnamon boar down to a rough area where he has been living the past 3 years with visual sightings, scat and elk hunters who are bad callers calling him in to them a few times. The area is on a north facing slope with some small parks and limited distance for glassing. This year I went hi and found him one day about a 1/2 mile from the area I expected him to be. He was feeding away from me at a pretty good clip, I had bad wind and could never catch up to him. I still hunted the planned area and called from a tree with roughly one lane of approach to me. Dogs, small cat and who knows what else came to the call. (heard a lot of weird stuff) The hair on the back of my neck was up the whole time and it made for a very stressful hunting style Next time I'm gonna hump in a portable tree stand and just get off the ground a few feet (8' or so) so I can look behind my ass a little easier. Will definitely do this again though. The Primos rabbit in distress calls is what I was using.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Slugz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 61 Times in 12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slugz View Post
    sorry....I think I put my bear comments under my NW Colorado Elk report thread.
    Un- nerving (sp) is the word to describe it. So I patterned a big cinnamon boar down to a rough area where he has been living the past 3 years with visual sightings, scat and elk hunters who are bad callers calling him in to them a few times. The area is on a north facing slope with some small parks and limited distance for glassing. This year I went hi and found him one day about a 1/2 mile from the area I expected him to be. He was feeding away from me at a pretty good clip, I had bad wind and could never catch up to him. I still hunted the planned area and called from a tree with roughly one lane of approach to me. Dogs, small cat and who knows what else came to the call. (heard a lot of weird stuff) The hair on the back of my neck was up the whole time and it made for a very stressful hunting style Next time I'm gonna hump in a portable tree stand and just get off the ground a few feet (8' or so) so I can look behind my ass a little easier. Will definitely do this again though. The Primos rabbit in distress calls is what I was using.
    You did better with your calling than I did. I tried the same thing this fall during Colorado's 2nd season after I got my bull. Never could get a bear to come in though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12