Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 94 Times in 17 Posts

I do the checklist thing. I start my checklist with the big ones: tag, binos/rangefinder, gun, ammo, knife, boots, daypack survival kit, cash & wallet, phone charger. I put the small ones in my hunting pack and tie the boot laces to the pack, the bigger items go in the gun case. Those get packed a day before we leave and the truck keys get put with them. When it's time to load the truck they get put next to it right away and packed last so I can get to them first. I also want to make sure they can be accessed for a final triple check before I leave home.

Past that I work down the checklist that's broke up by item type. I don't check it off until it's in a bag that's going with me. My lists are on the computer so I can modify them easily and print them off each trip. I have a base list I'll re-save into a new file for a specific trip like Muley 2017 and then modify from there.

One of the best things I have been doing for several years is going through and making another version of my list each year when I get home from the trip. I go through and figure out what I actually used, what I still want to have that I didn't use, and what I can remove from the list. I've streamlined my packing considerably by doing this over several years. Some items like rain gear, tire chains, and gaiters I may not use in Wyoming in October for several years in a row for example, but I'll still pack them every trip. Other items like a Harris bipod I carried in my gear for years and never used get taken off the list. If it will be sitting in the truck or in a tote at camp it's not worth having along no matter how nice it is to shoot off of. I've really trimmed down my clothing list as I get more of the technical clothing and get more confidence in my ability to stay warm layering it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mcseal2 For This Useful Post:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,371 Times in 951 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 562 Times in 96 Posts
    I always do checklists. I start about a month befor a trip, this has helped me a lot. First thing on the list is tag, next rifle, ammo then optics, after that's it's all luxuries lol. I can get the job done with tag, gun and ammo if that's all I had.
    ... because every picture tells a story

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ikeepitcold For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 28 Times in 4 Posts
    My checklist is also very effective. I find the short local trips are fails for me. I am not as diligent to pack for a one nighter. One result of this was packing up the trail in the middle of the night for 3 hrs using a key chain light.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 77 Times in 11 Posts
    I always pack my clothes and sleeping bag in a dry bag used for white water rafting. Its a little heavier but if it starts raining or snowing i know i will always have dry clothes and sleeping bag at camp. It makes a pretty good pillow when stuffed inside a sweatshirt too. There has been a bunch of times a 8x8 tarp would have been really nice for shelter from rain/ snow but i have never brought one

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 446 Times in 60 Posts
    Forgot my release on an early archery antelope hunt 2 hours from home when I was a kid. I traveled there with 2 other people so I was stuck. I practiced with a leather glove into a dirt bank for an hour or so. Never felt good about it so decided not to hunt- just glassed a lot. Lesson learned. I always have a spare release tucked in my bow case now.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    So, I am not alone! Seems like checklists are the way to go! I do have one......somewhere. We started making a grocery checklist several years ago. It really sucks to get "on top" and find out you have the buns but no wieners to put in them. I get pretty anal about packing for my trips. I think I need to improve my checklist routine. Great tips folks!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ArkieElk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 47 Times in 9 Posts
    I mainly forget things on scouting trips such as binoculars, new batteries for trail cameras, cold weather clothing.

Hunting I always feel like I do a great job with my checklists, but there always seems to be one thing missing. One year we forgot tags. I had put them in the pickup about a week ahead, checked them off my list, then took them out because I needed my license to go out hunting, and forgot to put them back in. The checklist said they were there, but they weren't. Luckily it was only about an hour total turn around time to get it.

Last year going to Wyoming solo from Eastern Oregon I forgot all the vacuum sealed burger patties and hot dog patties I had pre-made and froze. I figured it out when I was in Mountain Home so I was able to add another item to my list...stop at grocery store in Pocatello. Most extra things I forget are small things like extra knives, maps, mostly things either I don't really need or someone else at camp has what we need.

Here is what irks me...when my hunting partners constantly forget their important stuff, mainly meat bags. I make it very well known that they can borrow mine, but if I get an animal after theirs is all bagged up, their stuff is getting thrown out and mine is getting put in. They have the option then to use something else or drive home. I have forgot important stuff before, but it only affects me so they aren't ever out anything.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 69 Times in 18 Posts
    I forgot my waders on a duck hunt once... That was a cold, wet hunt in tennis shoes.. thankfully there were 4 of us, so i didnt have to put out/pick up decoys, and only got wet when the dog got in the boat.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 9 Posts
    It isn't easy to admit, but I traveled to Wyoming last fall only to discover I had neglected to pack any duct tape.

Would some of you like to post your lists? Maybe as a file? Can you do that on here?

ETA: Drove an hour to hunt coyotes only to discover I didn't have the trigger lock key for my gun. Never used that item again.

Walked to the top of a huge hill this spring only to discover I left my turkey call at camp. Lame.
    Last edited by Horsenhike; 08-02-2017 at 04:14 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsenhike For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 120 Times in 23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Horsenhike View Post
    It isn't easy to admit, but I traveled to Wyoming last fall only to discover I had neglected to pack any duct tape.

Would some of you like to post your lists? Maybe as a file? Can you do that on here?

ETA: Drove an hour to hunt coyotes only to discover I didn't have the trigger lock key for my gun. Never used that item again.

Walked to the top of a huge hill this spring only to discover I left my turkey call at camp. Lame.
    I don't think you can post a file but feel free to PM me with an email and Ill send you mine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast