Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, What Did You Leave Behind?

After weeks of planning and days of packing you are finally on your way to your favorite hunting area. You may be just a few hours or maybe a couple of days travel from home. During the course of setting up camp or maybe the day your hunt begins that feeling you have had in your gut becomes a reality. You forgot something important to your hunt.
    I have left my binoculars at home on two different hunts. Once I started setting up the tent only to find out I left the stakes 1200 miles away. At least once the stakes made it but the hammer to install them did not. Oh yeah, there was the time I left my license on the table next to the door. (so I wouldn't forget it) I did remember the truck jack once, but I packed it first in the bed behind everything else for a two week stay. It looked like I was setting up camp on the side of the highway! I have made check lists and even then a new piece of gear always seems to miss the trip. Am I alone with this curse? Tell us, what did you leave behind?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Got 2 hours away from home and realised I didnt have any guns.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Apparition For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Not hunting, but fishing trips plagued my family.

Theres the time my dad forgot to put the plug in before launching the boat (I was not at the ramp). Standing on the dock my uncles says that boat is riding really low in the water (yelling) Bill did you put the plug in. My dad responds with several curses and quickens the pace to the dock, where i had to jump in and put the plug in while in the water. Luckily we have a bilge pump, and nothing serious happened.

The other time is we are leaving for a week long trip, i was in early high school and was bringing a friend, whose mother was a nervous wreck about the trip for some reason. my friends parents are there watching us leave and as we are pulling out of the driveway (which has a small down hill hump in it) the boat slips off the hitch ball and starts grinding along the ground. Friends mom about fainted. Luckily between myself, dad, uncle, friend, and friends dad we were able to lift the front of the boat back onto the ball and made sure it was secure.

It is now a joke in the family to question anyone going out in a boat to see if they have the plug

5. The Following User Says Thank You to speezer87 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 34 Times in 15 Posts
    I forget...
    AS GOES THE CHURCH, SO GOES THE NATION

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kidoggy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 102 Times in 15 Posts

So, What Did You Leave Behind?

Left all my clothes at home both civilian and camo so I only had what was on my back, at least we were only out for two days and had a few pieces to share with someone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 121 Times in 29 Posts
    To be honest.....hardly anything since I started keeping the completed checklists from year to year to include the actual one I use to cross things off by hand. It always has notes on it and small changes from year to year. Really has helped us on our hunts.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slugz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 100 Times in 23 Posts
    I very seldom ever leave something behind that is actually needed on a hunt. I load my truck with the same items no matter what I am hunting and I just know that there are things that need to go into it. I also have the philosophy that as long as you have your rifle, shells, knife, and tag you can hunt. If you are a archer they replace rifle and shells with bow and arrows.

Now I have a friend that we have had to go to the local game and fish and get him a duplicate license and tag, go to the store and buy some shells, loan him my knife, binoculars, and so forth. When we were working together and carpooling I almost expected to see him walk out of his house in his BVD's because he forgot to put his pants on.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 54 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugz View Post
    To be honest.....hardly anything since I started keeping the completed checklists from year to year to include the actual one I use to cross things off by hand. It always has notes on it and small changes from year to year. Really has helped us on our hunts.
    I'm the same way. I have an extensive checklist that I don't check off until they are packed.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to hoshour For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 120 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugz View Post
    Same here. I don't like to rely on my brain to remember. I'm going with a checklist where I mark the box when it gets packed and loaded.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Work2hunt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 6 Posts
    A sleeping bag good enough to keep me warm on a mid-September Idaho elk hunt
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast