Thread: Road Rules

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Road Rules

Hello all,

I recently downloaded the onyx maps and started planning my Wyoming antelope trip for this October. I see lots on little red lines that show roads but no name. Some are going through private land that lead to BLM of grasslands. I have heard about the roads out there and I for sure do not want to get in trouble for going down the wrong road. Any advice would be good.

Second question just to clarify. I can hunt grassland and state lands correct? Just can't camp on them. Are there rules and different than BLM concerning roads?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 251 Times in 36 Posts
    If the road isn't named on the county map, is not a road.
    The national grasslands does have private land inside its borders. You can hunt state of Wyoming, BLM, Bankhead-Jones land, and any WIHA established by the WY G&F.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Onx is not a source for public roads. Go to the county gis web map page for county roads and the local blm for blm roads that have a public easement.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WapitiBob View Post
    Onx is not a source for public roads. Go to the county gis web map page for county roads and the local blm for blm roads that have a public easement.
    I just recently found out that not all county GIS maps are created equal. Depending on the county, I had a road on the county map that showed public, was named on the county map but when I got to it in person it was a private road for sure. I found the WY gazetter to be more accurate because it shows the county road number, not then name.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 117 Times in 20 Posts

I don't know for sure about Wyoming. I do know that on our ranch in the midwest that all our older established roads through our place show up as red lines. Those are private roads that dead end in private land and don't access anything else, just go to a mineral feeder, feed bunk line, gate, bin, anything. Anything we have hauled gravel onto to avoid creating ruts shows up on the map and many we haven't do to. I use Onx maps a lot and most of their info is accurate, but just because a red line is there doesn't mean it is public.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mcseal2 For This Useful Post: