Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 117 Times in 29 Posts

My 96 Ford is a 3/4 ton and if you size the slide in camper appropriately it will ride just fine, I have never had a problem with mine even when towing a trailer full of play toys behind it.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 117 Times in 20 Posts
    If you aren't big on a nice interior you might want to price ordering a truck rather than buying one off the lot. When I bought my 2012 F350 diesel I ordered it for the same money as 2yr old trucks with a really nice leather interior with 30k miles were bringing. I got exactly what I want for a ranch truck and those features make it great as a hunting truck too. Vinyl seats and floor, locking differential, skid plates, etc. Great for what I do with it every day and same price for new vs used.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mcseal2 View Post
    If you aren't big on a nice interior you might want to price ordering a truck rather than buying one off the lot. When I bought my 2012 F350 diesel I ordered it for the same money as 2yr old trucks with a really nice leather interior with 30k miles were bringing. I got exactly what I want for a ranch truck and those features make it great as a hunting truck too. Vinyl seats and floor, locking differential, skid plates, etc. Great for what I do with it every day and same price for new vs used.
    Ive turned into a bit of a wuss in old age , if Im sitting in a truck for more than 2 hours (36 hours to where we hunt in MT) I want to be wrapped in comfort, and so does everyone I travel with. I was thinking of trading my 2014 Chevy Crew, but I think Ill just keep it and use that as my normal transportation and use the new truck for the long haul/towing vehicle.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Apparition For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The problem with trucks now days is that a lot of them are more comfortable than a lot of the cars out there and that is what people want. It doesn't matter if they are working trucks or something to take the girlfriend out to dinner in.

I bought a 2016 Ford Explorer last year and love the comfort that it has not to mention all the electronics. I also use is as a hunting vehicle on day trips where I don't take my 4 wheeler which requires me to take my 20 year old diesel truck. It is funny that after riding around in the Explorer and I get into my truck I actually start to think about a new truck. That is until I remember what the price tags are on the new one and I quickly forget it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JimP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 80 Times in 20 Posts
    all of the big three are decent these days on there diesels,,id go dodge or chevy though over a ford,,have seen issues with the ford aluminum body door latches,,,seems like after making trucks for over 100 years,they cant design a door handle that will stay closed?I would think a recall will be out soon on the ford aluminum body trucks for this door issue.Ive gone dodge,have a 2004 hpcr 5.9 and love it,,,actually think a older truck without the def and other emission crap added in newer trucks is the way to go if you can find one,, dodge ,2004.5 thru the end of the 5.9 era {2007 I think} is what I think one of the best rigs to ever have.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ore hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    When hauling heavy loads over long distances I would rather have too much truck than have one that barely meets my needs. I have heard too many horror stories about having a truck that's too small for the job. Suspensions and break systems make a big difference when hauling heavy loads. Don't bet your life on a truck that is too small for the job even if it's only a few times a year.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 6 Posts
    I went with Dodge 6.6 in 07. This was a lemon year as the new emission system was a night mare. After spending thousands my son took it all off and bought a tuner. Max hp is 535 and the transmission wants no part of that. Power is set at approx 400 and driving with cruise set at 55 in flat eastern Ar it registers 30.8 mpg. We know that is not true but probably 27 mpg is. Problem is, it will drop in a hurry if driving hard. I like the handling and brakes, I quit GM because of no brakes and windshield wiper that did not quit when turned of, also one light burned out all the time.
    To your question, I tested a 2017 f150 with the 302 435 hp and can attest to the power and torque. Fuel mileage is good too. Cab is superb, comfort, what's not to like? I am always cost conscience but discounting that I would go ford 302.
    Last edited by xtreme; 08-05-2017 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Sent before finished

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    To your question, I tested a 2017 f150 with the 302 435 hp and can attest to the power and torque. Fuel mileage is good too. Cab is superb, comfort, what's not to like? I am always cost conscience but discounting that I would go ford 302.
    I was leaning toward an F350 then found out the darn body in 17 is aluminum, Ive heard nightmares of the cost that comes from a minor fender bender.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    They proved a couple of years ago when the F150 came out with the aluminum body that body repairs are no more with aluminum than they are with steel.

Anymore they don't pound out body damage but replace the skin and the cost is close enough to the same with one or the other that it really doesn't make any difference.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 28 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JimP View Post
    They proved a couple of years ago when the F150 came out with the aluminum body that body repairs are no more with aluminum than they are with steel.

Anymore they don't pound out body damage but replace the skin and the cost is close enough to the same with one or the other that it really doesn't make any difference.
    My former bro-in-law works for a body shop, he mostly does dent work, but says the same thing that the cost difference is negligible. Our biggest problem here in the midwest is what all the salt does to vehicles. The trucks (all makes) rust thru the rear wheel wells and cab corners after about 8 to 10 years. If the aluminum stands up better to the elements, sign me up!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast