Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

New Truck, Talk to me about the newer diesels vs gas 3/4 to 1 ton long bed pickups

Im starting to put together a plan to buy a new truck, I currently have a 2014 chevy K1500 crew standard bed, I have almost 90,000 on the truck, 2 things I dont like about it are the size of the fuel tank and the room. Seems the older I get the more crap I bring on a hunting/fishing trip. So Im doing the whole diesel vs gas dance, wondering if the diesel is worth the added expense and aggravation. 90 percent of the time Im using my truck on hunting/fishing trips, trips to montana, canada sometimes towing a 21 foot boat or 31 foot camper. If Im not towing, I have the truck packed with equipment. I want the option to put a truck camper in it. I saw that you can get an optional 48 gallon gas tank on the fords which is a huge plus especially with gas for running mountain roads and not having to come into town over the course of a week.

Ive been a chevy man for ages, but if the trucks a better fit, Im open to anything.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 427 Times in 56 Posts
    I switched from Chevy to Ford about 7 years ago. I trade every 2-3 years so never really get a ton of miles so I'm not the best guy to discuss long term durability. It really boiled down to 4 things why I switched;

Price- I buy new previous year models when they offer the crazy incentives. I have averaged 10k off of sticker price.
    Room- The back seat room was the best available when I switched.
    Huge gas tank- I have a 700+ mile range on a full tank.
    Key Pad entry- I never take my keys out of my truck. Seems small but it is so nice to never have to carry them.

I buy the gas models as I don't tow anything huge. I have a 20' camper that goes on trips occasionally.

My cost trading every 2-3 years has averaged $3,500.00. I usually only put 10,000 miles or so a year so they hold value very well.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Huge gas tank- I have a 700+ mile range on a full tank
    What size tank? and what engine?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 100 Times in 23 Posts
    Technically you want a 1 ton truck. 3/4 ton trucks are really overloaded by the time you put your crap into the bed and a couple of passengers along with their crap. Gas/diesel your choice. A diesel truck is going to cost you $8000-$10,000 more right off the bat. The new diesels will tow your house if you wrap a chain around it, it doesn't matter what manufacture. It will also cost you more in basic maintenance than a gas truck will. DPF fluid, oil changes and the extra cost of diesel over gas are just a few things. When a diesel breaks it will cost you more to fix if it is part of the engine/transmission area.

A plus is that you would be able to tow your boat or camp trailer at the speed limit with a diesel, where the gas truck will start to bog down. Diesels usually get better mileage than a gas but with the extra cost for diesel fuel it really equals out unless you look at distance between stops for fuel.

I have a 96 Ford diesel with the 7.3 and as far as the drive train is concerned you couldn't give me one of the new trucks. But the new trucks are like Cadillac they drive and handle so much better along with creature comforts that I am starting to enjoy more.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

The mountains of Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 134 Times in 19 Posts
    Once you go diesel you'll never go back! But in all reality, for everything you say you use your truck for, there is no reason why you shouldn't get a diesel. Diesels are meant for longevity and being abused. Towing loads and heavy trucks are the whole reason behind having one. Hell, I barely tow much anymore, but ill never get rid of having a diesel. The new diesels really don't struggle in cold temperatures like they used to either with the new motors. I love my 2012 F350, and it has started without being plugged in, in -30 without problem. A couple of my friends have the new 2017 F250/350 and they are amazing. My one buddy left dodge and went ford, and loves the new ford 100%. He also never thought he'd ever drive anything but Chevy or dodge. But all manufactures make good rigs, and in your situation I would strongly consider a diesel

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mntnguide For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 427 Times in 56 Posts
    2.7L Ecoboost and 36 gallon tank is what my current one has. I'm averaging 20.3MPG with my current truck. I have 11k miles on it. I was a little nervous about power with the smaller engine but it has zero issues pulling a load up the mountain. I feel like it has as much or more power than my last one did with the 5L standard V8.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hilltop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 63 Times in 17 Posts
    Apparition, is that 48 gallon tank available on gas burners? I just bought a new f150 in January, the biggest tank they had was the 36 gallon.
    With the 36 gallon tank, in the 3.5l ecoboost, I can go about 650+ miles on a tank of gas. The truck will pull a bass boat like its not even back there.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    Apparition, is that 48 gallon tank available on gas burners? I just bought a new f150 in January, the biggest tank they had was the 36 gallon.
    With the 36 gallon tank, in the 3.5l ecoboost, I can go about 650+ miles on a tank of gas. The truck will pull a bass boat like its not even back there.
    According to build a ford on the website it is.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Regular Cab Super Cab Crew Cab
    Seating 3 6 6
    Fuel capacity 6.2L Gas 34 gallon 34 gallon 48 gallon
    6.7L Diesel 29 gallon (142" WB) 29 gallon (148" WB), 34 gallon (164" WB) 34 gallon (160" WB), 48 gallon (176" WB)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,655 Times in 979 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 297 Times in 75 Posts
    Starting in 1983 when I bought my first diesel, I have never owned another gas rig. My 1999 F350 4x4 powerstroke was an absolute beast. I towed up to 15,000#, got great mileage 18 to 20 on the road not towing and 16 t0 18 towing, depending on how fast I would push it and how much I was pulling. I put 300,000 mile on it and never touched the engine or automatic tranny. I now have a 2013 F350 4x4 6.7 diesel that pulls better, but gets a little less mileage. I'll never buy another gas rig! There is just no comparison when towing.

I bought this truck when it was 2 years old, had 26,000 on it. It is a Lariat, crew cab, short bed, 4x4 and 6 speed auto trans. I paid $36,000 for it and it looks like new.
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 07-28-2017 at 06:27 PM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast