Thread: Meat pack

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Meat pack

eberlestock F1 mainframe or Cabela's Alaskan pack frame are the only two I've found to t look at. Looking for a meat pack for elk. Give me the good, the bad and the ugly or something else to look at

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 382 Times in 70 Posts
    I've enjoyed my cabelas Alaska pack frame. Its comfy and holds a solid load. Did all my train for TTH with it using 60 and 70 LB sand bags. When adjusted properly it rocked!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 89 Times in 19 Posts
    Kifaru Duplex Hunting Platform. You can use it strictly to haul meat or add a bag to use as a backpack. Kinda pricey but a really good pack.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 28 Times in 4 Posts
    Kelty Cache Hauler gets good reviews.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 102 Times in 23 Posts
    I have a Cabela's Alaskan frame and one with a bag on it and they both have packed out more deer and elk than I care to think about anymore. The one with the bag is nice in that you can place things into it along with the meat but the bare frame is also quite usable for packing out quarters or something that you can lash to it.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 950 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 561 Times in 96 Posts
    I've also packed out a ton of meat with the Alaska outfitter. For the cost it's a pretty great pack. Take a look at Stone Glacier, they have internal frames and their packs have big open main pouch so you can get a lot of meat in them.
    ... because every picture tells a story

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 89 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    I've also packed out a ton of meat with the Alaska outfitter. For the cost it's a pretty great pack.
    I agree! I've had one for years too. If only packing meat it certainly fits the bill...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 94 Times in 17 Posts
    I've packed meat with the Cabelas with no complaints as a meat pack only, just using the frame and some bungees and paracord. I've been training this summer with the F1 and 70lbs and have no complaints on it either. The straps aren't as heavily padded, after taking 75lbs 2.5 miles wearing only a T shirt I can see the checkering on the straps on my shoulders after I remove my shirt. It never bothers me or hurts, just makes an imprint. I have never had to pack meat wearing only a T shirt though, if I'm packing meat very far it's always been cold enough to have at least a bit more padding in clothing. If you want a meat pack that can also be a hunting pack I'd go Eberlestock. If you have hunting packs you like and are thinking strictly meat packing I'd probably go Cabelas. Pair the Eberlestock with a bag and you can take meat out the first trip. If you have only a daypack you can take some out but not as much or as comfortable as having a real frame.

My only complaint with the Eberlestock is that even after some trimming the Transformer bag and Mainframe pack weigh 8lbs. I'm waiting on a Exo 2000 I ordered earlier this summer. It will do the same job at 4.5lbs. It may be more comfortable too, I'll know when it arrives. It costs more also.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 3 Posts
    I have used my Cabela's Alaskan FP for a while now for packing out for myself or helping friends harvest. Comfortable and good balance.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well thanks everyone. Cabela's Alaskan is on the way.