Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 12 Times in 2 Posts

roto-molded coolers

I have a combo hunt coming up and been thinking about the advantages of these coolers. Many options out there, cables, orion, pelican, igloo sportsman, yeti and others. Found tons of ice challenges on y-tube. What is your brand of choice. Lets compare coolers in the 55qt range.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 303 Times in 78 Posts
    I have 55 qt Coleman Extreme that really does a great job. I put about 5" of water in the bottom of it and put it in my chest freezer. I then have a layer of solid ice about 5" thick on the bottom. In June we went fishing for a week and filled it with beer, bottled water and sodas. Lasted for 9 days without adding any ice to it. The Extremes do a great job, especially for the money, a hell of a lot less that a YetiI also have a 125qt in my pontoon boat that does equally well.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 14 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    I have 55 qt Coleman Extreme that really does a great job. I put about 5" of water in the bottom of it and put it in my chest freezer. I then have a layer of solid ice about 5" thick on the bottom. In June we went fishing for a week and filled it with beer, bottled water and sodas. Lasted for 9 days without adding any ice to it. The Extremes do a great job, especially for the money, a hell of a lot less that a YetiI also have a 125qt in my pontoon boat that does equally well.
    i think for the money these coolers are great!!! they hold ice for a very long time in my experience. don't see the point of spending the money on a yeti unless you needed one to be bear proof.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 86 Times in 16 Posts
    I have some of the cheaper ones, a yeti, and a grizzly. Honestly, if you are in and out of them, there isn't a difference between them. If you are filling with ice and leaving them closed, I do see the more expensive ones keep ice longer. Work paid for the expensive coolers or I wouldn't every use any of them to be honest.

I will say that they definitely are tougher. I've beat my expensive ones up pretty good without ever having to worry about it.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 14 Times in 5 Posts
    The coleman extremes are great. My only gripe is the hinges pretty much suck. Easy enough to replace with stainless hinges off Amazon. I did buy a couple RTIC coolers off of Amazon when they were having a great sale on them. Ended up not costing that much more than a coleman extreme. Build quality and durability is certainly better on the RTIC when compared to the coleman extremes. I'd never pay Yeti prices.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 4 Posts
    Seems like every week there is a different company coming out with the Roto Molded cooler.................

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Don K View Post
    Seems like every week there is a different company coming out with the Roto Molded cooler.................
    Wally World has their roto molded coolers....I don't care for their latches though. I have Colemans & Igloos.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 12 Times in 2 Posts
    Thanks for the responses. What do you think about this strategy? Short video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipY8upsp4qI

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 00BUCK For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 44 Times in 4 Posts
    For the money, pretty hard to beat an Rtic cooler. When they're on sale, there's no comparison...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 94 Times in 17 Posts
    I have a Yeti 65 that I have no complaints about other than the price in your size range. I have a Magellan 25qt I use a lot more, it's a handy size and does great. On hunting trips we put the Magellan in the truck or UTV, load it each morning from the Yeti 65.

Around the ranch plus on hunting and fishing trips I'm hard on coolers. It seems that somebody always had to sit on the lid of the big cheaper ones I had like Igloo or Coleman 120 or 150qt coolers and once the lid bends they are useless. I just ordered a Grizzly 165 to use hauling meat hunting and to hold beer and water at bigger events. I priced all of them and it seemed like the best price vs size to me. I looked at the K2 scratch and dent coolers hard too, but they only went to 120qt. In your size range a K2 50qt is $230. A Grizzly 60 is $250, a Rtic 65 is $240. Based on looking at the big ones a few days ago those are likely the cheaper brands but might be best to do your own checking. Just looked up Magellan, their 50 is $170. I'd probably go that route for the money I like my 25 enough if you have an Academy sports close.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast