Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 117 Times in 20 Posts

You have got a lot of great advice both about camping and about preventing issues when pulling a trailer long distances. A couple more I'd add is that a 12V air compressor and plug kit can get you out of a bind. Magnetic tail lights can also. So can a serpentine belt for whatever you are pulling the trailer with. That last bit is getting less applicable as the space under the hood becomes more crowded and computerized, (they pull the cabs to work on trucks now days) but on older vehicles they can be life savers. Having a serpentine belt, break-over bar for the idler pulley, and a socket to fit the bar, would have saved me a lot of time on New Years Eve one year when the belt failed when nobody was open. Not a mistake I'll make again on a vehicle I can prevent that on.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,060 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 309 Times in 83 Posts
    I could go on and on about what you should have with you to save your trip. I have made over 100 trips to Baja since my first in the early 60's via jeep down Baja 1 before it was paved and really a 4whd trail. If a person is going to go camping with a tent or rv they need just a few basic things. Off roading changes the ball game completely. I could write a book about the things I have seen and have had happen...(there are several already out there!)

The big thing is making sure your equipment is in top condition and well maintained. Have a few of the basics eg. tools, a jack, spare tires, some safety eq like flares and be smart. Don't do anything stupid, if in doubt, don't do it.

I know this is really off the original point, but it needed to be added to what has already been said.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 80 Times in 20 Posts

on my deal last year,the wheel bearing cap popped off somewhere in Idaho and it wasn't long before I had issues,,not even 200 miles,so keep an extra wheel cap in the tool box

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12