Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts

Beginner just bought a RCBS Kit looking for guidance

Picked up a RCBS Master Reloader Kit at Gander for $197 out the door + the $50 rebate from RCBS means I got it for $147, over half off!

I picked up my dies, calipers, shell holders and primers. Is there anything I am missing besides brass, powder and bullets?

If I am missing anything, which of it is a necessity vs makes life easier?

Thanks!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NDguy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,173 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 322 Times in 91 Posts
    What manual do you have? What caliber are going to load?
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 06-29-2017 at 08:18 AM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    What manual do you have? What caliber are going to load?
    RCBS came with the Nosler manual. 30-06 to start, then maybe dabble in .223, 9mm and I am thinking of getting a 7mm-08 as my next rifle.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You are going to need some case lube for sure and I like a pad that the lube can be applied to and the case rolled in it. Blocks to hold the cases while you are working on them (usually hold 80 to 100 cases). I also like the plastic boxes to hold your reloaded ammo as the factory boxes start to wear out pretty quick. Also large adhesive labels to identify what load is in each box. I also go to one of the dollar stores and buy containers to keep my bulk empties stored in. Some type of case cleaner/media is also needed eventually. You didn't mention a powder measure/scale.

Oh yes...a nice well lit, sturdy work bench to mount your press on.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the info.

Here is the kit I got.

http://rcbs.com/Products/Presses-and...ading-Kit.aspx

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 157 Times in 38 Posts
    Check out the Speer reloading manuals. They usually have some real good information in them for a beginner.

On dies for your 9mm and other straight walled pistol round get the carbide sizing die. With it you will not have to lube them. It makes it a lot easier. They are more expensive but I believe that they are well worth the extra cost.

For the lube, I am starting to like the spray on stuff better than the pads but that is personal preference. You will want to get some inside neck brushes for your rifle cases. You can get some lube on them and then insert them into the cases before you resize them. This will lube the necks up a little and help prevent a case from getting stuck in the sizing die when the neck sizer is being pulled out of the neck.

A couple of other things that I like to have are a digital scale along with a caliper to measure the rounds and cases. Both can be had fairly cheap.

On your bench make sure that it sturdy. You will be putting a lot of force on it when you start sizing cases. If it is just a table you might think of reinforcing the top of it with some 3/4" plywood before you bolt the press to it.

When you start the process just go slow and check your work. Once you get going you'll need a case trimmer and set of pilots and a whole lot of other things that you will read about that makes things easier.

I have left a lot out but other will chime in with what they think that you might need.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JimP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I didn't realize that the kits had so much in them as I have never bought one. When I started reloading in the 50's....no such thing, too bad , would have saved a lot of time.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 157 Times in 38 Posts
    Yea, the kits now days will have you up and reloading in a hurry. All you really need to add are the components to get going.

The kit I bought back in the early 70's even included your first set of dies.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JimP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 110 Times in 16 Posts
    I bought the same kit and love it. I added a case trimmer to my set up. I have my scale at eye level so i dont have to be bent over when weighing powder and that really saves my back. Buy 2 shell holders, 1 for your press and 1 for your hand primer. My hand primer is kindof trick to get back together some times and other times it falls right together.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 7mag For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations

There are quite a few of us on Eastmans who do a lot of reloading and as such have lots of experience. Don't feel any question is stupid, we will help all we can. Reloading is a fun hobby and if you get serious and shoot enough, it can save you some money and increase your accuracy.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast