Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 152 Times in 34 Posts
    Thanks all and sorry Coues.....didn't mean to hijack the thread. I'm finding the older I get and with my primary packing partner going to college now, I need to re gear up to make less trips and be more comfortable........when I cant get the pack animals to the kill

Thanks again all. Love the insight we are able to share here to make informed decisions.

65 days till the archery opener

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slugz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 158 Times in 52 Posts
    Good stuff Mcseal. It came down to these two packs for me as well. I ended up with the Kafaru Reckoning with 2 pockets. One will be used for my bow cam/butt stock carrier, thus eliminating some other gadget to do this. I didn't load the base purchase with lots of extras. Not needed in my opinion, but different strokes for different folks. :-)
    My setup weights 5.9lb on my scale. Bag/frame/pockets. Great daypack and can expand to a 5-6 day bag without all the fluff.

It fit my style of hunting better and I was able to setup the bag I wanted cheaper than the Exo by $70. It really does come down to personal preference as everyone likes to pack and access things differently. Both are great products and the two best options at the current time.
    Last edited by Bonecollector; 06-22-2017 at 06:16 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonecollector For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 117 Times in 20 Posts
    Yep, I don't think you'd go wrong with either company. I know Kifaru has a ton of options other than the Nomad 2 I was looking at. I was only comparing the Kifaru version that caught my eye to the Exo version that caught my eye. I've heard good things about the Reckoning on the podcasts I've been listening to while running the tractor baling.

I've heard lot of good about Stone Glacier on the Podcasts as well, but have zero experience with them. Brian Barney said on Eastmans Elevated he runs the Eberlestock Mainframe with the Spike camp or Super Spike Camp duffle and likes it. Everyone figures out what fits their needs best, packs and boots will always be about what fits each individuals body and intended use.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Agreed Mcseal.
    I really liked the way I could carry my weapon with the reckoning also.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonecollector For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    One of the biggest reasons I liked the Nomad 2 was that I could put my Eberlestock scabbard on the webbing between the wings. I just decided that added even more weight and talked my self out of it. It would be a cool set-up though.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Hi All- Great feedback! I went w/ the Exomountain 2000. I loved the easy detach from the pack to the meat shelf. Plus if you need more space you can always ad the guide lid to it later. One last thing... I had the original Nomad from Kifaru, I did not like the way it held my rifle. I think the 2000 will be a more secure way down the middle of carrying my rifle.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chasingcoues For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by chasingcoues View Post
    Hi All- Great feedback! I went w/ the Exomountain 2000. I loved the easy detach from the pack to the meat shelf. Plus if you need more space you can always ad the guide lid to it later. One last thing... I had the original Nomad from Kifaru, I did not like the way it held my rifle. I think the 2000 will be a more secure way down the middle of carrying my rifle.
    You can now do this with an attached pocket in the middle of the pack. Was one of the things I liked about the Reckoning.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonecollector For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Just got back from a 4 day scouting trip for my muley hunt this fall. I used the Exo 2000 on the trip. We had a base camp and did day trips from it on the UTV and got an overview of the area, then hiked into some of the more promising terrain we wanted a closer look at. I was very happy with the Exo. I put my spotter, a new 55mm Kowa, in the stretch pocket on the back and my tripod in one of the water bottle pockets and under the straps on the side. The inside of the pack held my Kuiu Kenai pants and jacket, Kuiu glassing pad, bino adapter, emergency kit, gloves, snacks, and other small items. The zipper pocket on the front flap held my Dark Energy phone charger and cord, and the top fleece pocket held my headlamp. I'm sure I'm forgetting items but that's the majority of it. It was about 20-21lbs total weight. The pack moved with me extremely well and almost felt like not having a pack, certainly not a frame pack. It lets plenty of air get to my back that really helps keep cool and dry. I liked it very much. I did a conditioning hike with the pack at home before going with 80lbs and it did well also. I felt some pressure between my shoulder blades that was uncomfortable with that load, but I never adjusted it right before that trip. I took it from the box, loaded it, and headed out adjusting as I went. After watching the video I think I have it set much better now. I like the pack very much and hope to have it hauling a muley out this fall.

I also bought the 3500 bag and it arrived while I was gone. It has some features I like better like the long side pockets for a spotter and tripod. It's heavier and bulkier also, but not by a whole lot. Both will have their place with me, the wetter, colder, and later the season is the more likely I'll want the bigger capacity for clothes.

14. The Following User Says Congratulations to mcseal2 For This Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Just a follow up to my previous post after using the Exo more.

I think the 3500 bag will get the majority of my use. I like the long side pockets to hold the spotter and tripod, and just like being able to easily fit all my gear into the larger bag and shrink it from there. I have gone on a couple dozen more conditioning hikes and not noticed the pressure between the shoulder blades since, I think it was how I had the straps adjusted and load sucked down. After properly adjusting the pack it was a non-issue.

The biggest thing I can say positive about this pack is how it moves with you. It doesn't feel like a frame pack moving over down trees and through burns with a reasonably light load. If you are like most people and are going to haul less than 50lbs into camp, set up camp, and hunt with 20lbs but want to be able to pack 100lbs out if you kill this should be an excellent pack. I'm a big built stout guy, not built at all like Steve or Lenny that designed the pack, and it works well for me. I have never owned a Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, or Stone Glacier pack but have used an Eberlestock Mainframe and a Cabelas Alaskan Guide light frame with similar loads. The Exo is at least as good, probably better, with heavy loads and definitely better with most loads to me.

I'll update more as I use the pack more. I still hope to beat the odds and find a Wyoming muley moving in the daylight I can pack out with it. Wish me luck if you want to read a review!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12