Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reload Newbie

Thanks
    Thanked 2,065 Times in 1,177 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 322 Times in 91 Posts

Almost none at all under normal pressure. Hot loads have a lot higher pressure and then brass stretches.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 164 Times in 56 Posts
    Understood; However, I assumed over time there would be some stretch...
    Thanks CC.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 157 Times in 38 Posts
    There is some brass flow in the neck area if you just neck size the brass but usually the brass will split way before it gets to the point that you might need to trim it. That is where it is nice to do some measuring on the brass and see just where it is according to the factory specs. I have also found that different lots of brass from the same manufacture will react differently over loadings.

For most hunting rounds I like to full length resize my brass, then once it is loaded I'll head to the range and chamber each and every round to make sure that it will chamber easily. Any that don't get shot that day. You don't want to have that shot of your life and not be able to chamber a round. I have seen that happen way too often.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JimP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,065 Times in 1,177 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 322 Times in 91 Posts
    Jim...exactly what I do...chamber each & every round before hunting, saves a possible problem later.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 45 Times in 9 Posts
    I do the same as CC and Jim, except after i full length size them and clean them all up i measure them and if ok i will try them in my gun before i load them. That way if they don't fit you don't have to pull them all apart again. I also check this after i load them too. But i mostly neck size mine just like CC. I don't know how many loading i get with the brass, but when the primer pockets are loose i pitch them. My dad did a test one time on one of his .223's to see how many times he could load it before the case failed. He got 23 loadings before the case neck split. That would all depend on your chamber and actual pressures of your individual load also. And if you neck sized or full length sized.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fackelberry For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Fackelberry, finding the failure sounds kinda scary...?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Does anyone know if the ammo box made that dictate that the bullet tip be down know if they are protected by a narrowing channel that keeps the tips from touching the bottom of the box? I obviously don't want the tips damaged. I'm looking at boxes for 7mm mag from mtm case-gard.
    Or does anyone have another recommendation?
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    No if you put the bullets tips down they will hit the bottom of the box. I have started to place my bullets tips up for this and a couple of other reasons. One is that the plastic box is breakable and I have broken a few when the bullets bounced enough that the tip broke through the bottom.

Years ago I picked up some cardboard ammo boxes with the cardboard dividers and over the years gave just about all of them away as I reloaded for friends and family. They always brought the brass back but never the boxes.

So anymore for my general shooting I pack my loaded ammo in the MTM 50 count boxes and then transfer them to the plastic 20 round boxes when I go hunting.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks Jim.
    These boxes are a tough-coat plastic as they won't shatter. There has got to be some other options out there that I am overlooking.

Thanks
    Congratulations

There are really very few options out there for boxes to store your ammo. Because of people not returning boxes to me I actually started to give people their reloaded ammo in plastic ziplock bags if they don't have a box for it.

If you look at the major catalog companies like Midway, Natchez, and a few others that have a lot of reloading supplies you will find that there are not many options out there.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast