Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

First time cooking venison

Cooked my first venison recipe a couple nights ago: Venison Gyros. Took a 8-10 inch piece of backstop, seasoned with salt, pepper, cumin & garam masala, a little olive oil & a splash of white wine vinegar. Seared all sides in a cast iron skillet, then finished in the oven at 250 until the meat was med rare. Sliced thin and served with tomato, red onion & tzatziki sauce on warm pita bread. I was a little nervous how it was going to go over with the family. Well...by the time I finished my first gyro, my wife had finished two and was sopping up the meat juices from the cutting board with left over pita bread. I think we'll be keeping this recipe.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Welchji For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Whoops...read the forum title "Cook Em Up" and thought we were talking about cooking game. Then I noticed the rest of the threads are about reloading...oh well. It was still a good meal.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Welchji For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 403 Times in 73 Posts
    I think the same thing every time I see it. that sounds damn fine BTW

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 5 Posts
    It sounds delicious. 😃 Last time I had some deer meat, we used some of the typically tougher cuts off the quarters to make kabobs (did the recipe 6 times) and they were tender and well liked by all in the family. I used a red wine marinade overnight-that was the key to the tenderness. The ethnic basis for it was Uzbek or somewhere out there in central Asia. I'll have to post the recipe sometime. 🐴

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 205 Times in 48 Posts
    After reading your recipe I have to get my BIL to make some curry elk. He makes some curry that is delicious and not too spicy.
    When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money.

Cree Prophecy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,906 Times in 1,093 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 312 Times in 85 Posts
    Over the years I continue to learn new ways to prepare game meat. Besides the obvious care that must be taken before with the meat before it gets to your table, lots of new methods of preparation surface all the time. I used to cook venison well done, havn't done that for years. Recently a friend of mine told me about soaking backstrap in buttermilk before cooking. I tried it and...WOW what a difference!

Thanks, I'm going to try this too.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 403 Times in 73 Posts
    double dipped breaded deer steaks fried in coconut oil and butter..... damn! sprinkle some smack your mamma seasoning on there and it is some excellent table fare. so anxious for next fall! 2 deer and an elk disappear pretty dang fast!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    Over the years I continue to learn new ways to prepare game meat. Besides the obvious care that must be taken before with the meat before it gets to your table, lots of new methods of preparation surface all the time. I used to cook venison well done, havn't done that for years. Recently a friend of mine told me about soaking backstrap in buttermilk before cooking. I tried it and...WOW what a difference!

Thanks, I'm going to try this too.
    Buttermilk, yogurt too, make great bases for marinades. Very common in central Asian and Indian meat recipes using lamb, goat, or mutton. 😉

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Here's a link from our friends up north at the Canadian Dairy Farmers that does a decent job of explaining how yogurt/buttermilk based marinades work on the meat:

https://www.dairygoodness.ca/good-li...imate-marinade

Thanks
    Congratulations

I am so dense! I finally saw the part about this forum being for reloading "recipes" a Hahahaha! 😂

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast