Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading hicup

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 3 Posts

Reloading hicup

Ok, I've started to reload my own ammo and it's been interesting. I've gotten to where I'm not crushing the brass and or flattening the shoulder. Now like one or two out of twenty bullets loaded fall into the brass. I'm following the directions in the books and paper work in the dye's but the bullet is loose enough in the neck to fall in. What is happening?

IF you want to know what I'm reloading is a 30-06 Springfield with 165 Grain Hornady ballistic tips.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 141 Times in 32 Posts
    Sounds like the sizing die isn't adjusted properly.

That is unless the bullets are undersized. Do you have a micrometer to measure the bullets?
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,906 Times in 1,093 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 312 Times in 85 Posts
    What kind of dies do you have? Jim is right, sounds like an adjustment problem to me.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm using RCBS dye's and my micrometer is showing the proper .308 in size.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have to admit that after reloading thousands or rounds I have never ran into that type of problem.

The sizing die will slightly under size the neck of the case and then when you pull the case out of the die the expander ball will size it just under the desired diameter to hold the bullet. But just happening with one or two bullets is very strange.

You might want to contact RCBS customer service and see what they have to say. They might want you to send a sized case to them so that they can check it out.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdd2035 View Post
    I'm using RCBS dye's and my micrometer is showing the proper .308 in size.
    What are you measuring? I feel the same as Jim, never ran into this type of problem with a rifle die set. Straight rifle and pistol cases, yes I have seen this problem. But this is with a 3 die set and one die puts a bellmouth expanded case mouth that is usually crimped into a grove in the bullet.

Strange indeed.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I really think it's operator error. I think I'm not turning the sizing dye down enough when I'm pushing out the spent primers.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You want to at least fully size the neck of the case just to hold the bullets.

A easy way to tell how much is being sized is to take a lighted candle and smoke the neck of the case and then run it through the sizing die. You should be able to tell how far into the die that the case is going and can stop before it reaches the shoulder of the case.

Neck sizing is usually fine for target shooting but for a hunting round I at least bump the shoulder back a little and then chamber each and every round that I plan on taking hunting so that I don't end up with a round that will not load when that buck or bull of a lifetime walks out of the woods.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I was thinking about this last night and have a question... Bullets. What kind, were they new when you got them (box sealed), etc. I would measure the diameter of the bullets that seem to be too small. I know a guy who tried to load .303 British in a 30-06 and had similar problems as they are a tad smaller.

Just a thought................
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 78 Times in 26 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    I know a guy who tried to load .303 British in a 30-06 and had similar problems as they are a tad smaller.
    Interesting, I'd have thought the larger diameter bullet the .303 Brit takes would have been a tight fit, if at all. He must have had things way out of whack.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast