Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 138 Times in 26 Posts

Cool pics, story, and deer, congrats to all involved.

I shot a 300 win mag at everything for years, shot 180gr Ballistic tips and later Accubonds over a max load of RL22. I truly mean I shot it at everything including rocks, dirt clods, crows, coyotes, etc. It was the only rifle I used other than my 22. I developed a flinch doing it that took me a while to lose, I shot the big gun to much. I actually shot the barrel out on that rifle and when I had it re-barreled my gunsmith recommended the 264 win mag so I went with that. I loaded ammo for that gun anyway. It turned out I love my new 264 for deer and antelope, but I never quite quit missing the power that the 300 had.

Fast forward a decade and I have a moose hunt lined up and am hunting elk every time I can draw a tag. I ended up ordering a lightweight 70 with a few modifications from Rifles Inc. I got it in 300 win mag. Even with the rifle and scope weighing 7lbs 4oz total it is comfortable to shoot with the brake they installed. I took my muley with it this fall on a hard quartering shot and it reminded me why I like the 300 with a tough 180gr bullet. I wish I'd had a brake on the first one, but am very happy with the pair of rifles I have now. The 300 is light and accurate with a lot of punch, the 264 is accurate and being 3lbs heavier an easy rifle to shoot well. Depending on the game between the two I have an ideal rifle and solid back-up rifle for almost all my hunts.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,203 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 717 Times in 122 Posts
    Very cool.

I'm now only shooting 300 Win. Gave up the 7mm WSM due to the lack of ammo.
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ikeepitcold For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 59 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    Very cool.

I'm now only shooting 300 Win. Gave up the 7mm WSM due to the lack of ammo.
    I am about to give mine up for the same reason

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 30 Times in 6 Posts
    [QUOTE=mcseal2;204571]Cool pics, story, and deer, congrats to all involved.I shot a 300 win mag at everything for years, shot 180gr Ballistic tips and later Accubonds over a max load of RL22. . I actually shot the barrel out on that rifle and when I had it re-barreled my gunsmith recommended the 264 win mag so I went with that. I loaded ammo for that gun anyway. It turned out I love my new 264 for deer and antelope, but I never quite quit missing the power that the 300 had.

I have shot a 300 win mag since 1980. Used Rem. 180 gr. with great success. Now loading 180 Accubonds over the same RL22, my go to rig for about everything. I also have a 264 mag, and have added a 25-06. Use these three on everything from sage rats to elk. Wouldn't hesitate to use that 300 win mag on moose if I ever draw the tag. If you factor in availability of ammo, with everything else, I would have to put this cartridge right at the top of the list. BB

6. The Following User Says Thank You to badgerbob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 138 Times in 26 Posts

[QUOTE=badgerbob;204600]
    Quote Originally Posted by mcseal2 View Post
    Cool pics, story, and deer, congrats to all involved.I shot a 300 win mag at everything for years, shot 180gr Ballistic tips and later Accubonds over a max load of RL22. . I actually shot the barrel out on that rifle and when I had it re-barreled my gunsmith recommended the 264 win mag so I went with that. I loaded ammo for that gun anyway. It turned out I love my new 264 for deer and antelope, but I never quite quit missing the power that the 300 had.

I have shot a 300 win mag since 1980. Used Rem. 180 gr. with great success. Now loading 180 Accubonds over the same RL22, my go to rig for about everything. I also have a 264 mag, and have added a 25-06. Use these three on everything from sage rats to elk. Wouldn't hesitate to use that 300 win mag on moose if I ever draw the tag. If you factor in availability of ammo, with everything else, I would have to put this cartridge right at the top of the list. BB
    I have a 26-06 too, I use it for antlerless season some and on coyotes at times. Some years the heavy tall grass makes me like the stouter bullets that will not blow up on it like my V max's in the 204 or 22 cal centerfires.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12