Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,246 Times in 998 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 157 Times in 71 Posts

Sub .30 vs .30 cal?

How many of you read Brandon Mason and Dan Turvey's debate on this subject? Personally I am a .30 caliber plus guy, thoughts?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 141 Times in 32 Posts
    My favorite caliber if I could only have one would be a .338. I have a .340 Weatherby and have shot everything from rabbits to African plains game with it. And I would not be scared to go up against the African big 5 with it and a proper load. You can load it up or down to suit your needs. It is a 1000 yard rifle if needed and you can do your part. It is just one of the best all around rifle calibers out there with no disrespect to the .30 caliber rifles out there.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 70 Times in 15 Posts
    I love my 300 wsm for big game hunting. One shot on a 7 1/2 year old cow bison last year. She went down within 100 yards. 30 cal has lots of reloading options. My 243 wssm is a great , flat shooter too for appropriate game.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 205 Times in 48 Posts
    I've seen big game shot with everything from 6mm to 300mag and a few in between. They all worked great. So it's just a matter of preference not necessity. Kind of like the debate between ford vs dodge vs chevy.
    I guess I'm a fan of sub .30 since I've been hunting with my 7mm mag for over 35 years and never had a problem and have never lost an animal.
    When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money.

Cree Prophecy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,906 Times in 1,093 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 312 Times in 85 Posts
    For me it depends on the animal. For deer size and below, I use a .25-06 with 117 gr bullet. Used to shoot a 30-06 when I could only afford one big game rifle.
    Anything larger than deer, my go to gun is a .300 Wby loaded with a 180 gr bullet.
    My basic belief for year has been to get my reloads to 3000 fps or more. Of course bullet placement is the most important part of big game rifle hunting.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 2 Posts
    My thought is with today's bullets it's a pretty moot point for 95 percent of today's hunter. I prefer my 280ai most of the time but if I was limited to one rifle for all of my shooting I'd be getting a Ruger #1 in 45-70. I could load it from mild to wild all for about 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of any of my other rifles.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 12 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimP View Post
    My favorite caliber if I could only have one would be a .338. I have a .340 Weatherby and have shot everything from rabbits to African plains game with it. And I would not be scared to go up against the African big 5 with it and a proper load. You can load it up or down to suit your needs. It is a 1000 yard rifle if needed and you can do your part. It is just one of the best all around rifle calibers out there with no disrespect to the .30 caliber rifles out there.
    Could not agree more, I own two 340s and several 30 caliber magnums. However I purchased a .280 Rem and a 7mm-08 for my two boys and have been really impressed with both of them. Not that I am about to settle for something less than a 30 caliber but I am starting to have somewhat of an appreciation for those that do.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 160 Times in 53 Posts
    I consider this more of a discussion than an actual debate; just like Ford vs Chevy vs Ram. There are good choices on both sides of the 'discussion'.
    Based on ballistics and of course proper bullet construction and shot placement:
    Below 30 Cal, I like the 7mmag & 6.5x.284 to cover all of N.A. with exception of big bear.
    Again, this is based on ballistics & science (Tim will like me for this as I do listen) and un-necessary shoulder punishment.
    Above 30 cal, it tough to beat the .338 based on the same criteria. However,,,, the new 30 Nosler and 6.5 x.300 may be worth a look.
    How's that for throwing fuel on a fire, I mean discussion. :-)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonecollector For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 78 Times in 26 Posts
    What ever you shoot best, and for many, that is a more moderate cartridge selection. Of at least equal importance, is a bullet up to the task. So many great choices, theleo pretty much nailed it for 95% of us.

Hard to beat something based off the 06 case for me. I have zero need for anything over 30 cal., but have no quarrel with those that do. Some day I will shoot something with my scout rifle style Marlin 444 "guide" gun. My 280 with 175gr. Partitions or 30-06 with 180 TTSX or 200gr. Accubonds are adequate for anything I'll ever hunt in NA, to about 400 yards, including Brown bear if I desired one, which I don't. 95% of my hunting is with a 25-06, 270 or 280 anymore, with medium or medium heavy bullets for caliber.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 128 Times in 22 Posts

If I could only have one I'd go with a 7 mag and do everything with it. Since I can have more, I don't even have a 7mm. I have a light 270 and a heavy 264WM for anything smaller than elk, and a 300WM for elk or bigger critters. If I wasn't going on a moose hunt I'd likely still be using the 270 for elk also and not have the larger rifle.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast