Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 79 Times in 27 Posts

The Broz guy seems to be talking very long range shooting, which has it's own set of issues. No doubt that much past 450-500, you better select your 7mm bullet and cartridge well, same for a .308 bullet/cartridge too, but arguably to a lesser extent with the heavier bullets available. One needs to make sure you have enough pop way out there. That's one of the reasons a .338 Lapua is very popular for ultra LR hunting, and effective for those that can handle it. But one can arguable a .338 is recently less necessary with 180+ and 190+ bullets in .284 & .308 respectively, specifically designed to perform on game at lower velocities found at very long range.

But to comment further is difficult as all he shares are generalizations. The devil is in the details. A 7mm RM shooting a 140 pill vs a 300 RUM launching 210 grains of bullet would be likely to have noticeable differences on an elk at say 500 - 600 - 700 yards, all else being equal. But make it a 7mm STW with a 180-195gr pill and odds are you'd notice little if any difference vs a 300 RUM with 210 gr. ish bullet at the same ranges.

But it makes for great conversation material.

Here's some added fodder, it relative to brown bear, but comes from an expert:

I make my living cleaning up messes caused by self proclaimed excellent shots and experienced hunter on Brown Bear hunts. In over twenty five years the over whelming majority were caused by the hunter using a rifle he could not handle.
    When a hunter shows up with a well worn 7mm or 30-06 and a sensible scope I know he is going home with a trophy.
    I don't have a minimum caliber I require a hunter bring but anything less than a .270 is a stunt and anything over a .375 usually ego.
    Phil Shoemaker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 2 Posts
    In response to wapiti/broz:
    If I'm a little off I hit the shoulder, or high lung, or towards the back of the lungs. The elk is still going to die and be recoverable. If I'm just completely off and gut shoot it I'm just as screwed with an uber magnum as I am something more pleasant. For me and the majority of hunters out there that might stretch our shots out to 500 yards but not go further, 30+ caliber magnums are mearly more weight, recoil, and noise. 95 percent of the hunters out there don't play the long range game. Of the remaining 5 percent that do only about half are actually capable enough to shoot that far. I'm not a long range shooter, I'm not a capable enough marksman to take those way out there shots nor am I interested in lugging a rifle around the mountains capable of shooting that far. The argument that comes to mind though, is at what point should a person stop bragging about what kind of hunter they are and instead brag about the kind of marksman they are? For the longest time long shots were considered part of western spot and stalk hunting. With the ranges some guys are pushing themselves to these days, can we officially make a new category called spot hunting? Spot the animal and shoot?

I really don't care what guns other guys shoot or how far they shoot animals at, as long as the animals they shoot at are taken cleanly and recovered. If they do that 99 percent of the time, they are ethical hunters in my book. I just like debate and discussion.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,172 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 322 Times in 91 Posts
    We kinda got off on a tangent about long range shooting. My 2 go to calibers are .25-06 & .300 Wby (as I said in an earlier post) and I have spent a lot of time working on loads that I've shot out to 500 yds. I am an excellent shot, but for me their are too many variables that I have no control over that get magnified out beyond that distance.

A couple of years ago I shot an antelope that was ranged at 417 yards. One shot with my 25-06. I shot from prone using my bipod and the buck antelope was feeding. No way to get any closer. I've shot a couple of buck deer with the same load at 400 yards, same result.
    Never have shot an elk over 275 yards, altho my Dad shot a bull with my rifle that we ranged at 350, everything was one shot kills.

My point is that I'm sure the rifles will kill at a lot farther than I will use them, but that's me.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 405 Times in 74 Posts
    my 338is just to expensive to shoot!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 25 Times in 5 Posts
    I shoot 280 Rem an 300 RUM but 30-06 will kill anything on the planet in the right hands

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kentucky hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 157 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ivorytip View Post
    my 338is just to expensive to shoot!
    You need to reload. The rounds that I shoot out of my .340 Weatherby will run $100+ for a box of 20 factory rounds. I can reload the same round to the same velocity for just over $1.00 a round if I have the cases or $2.00 a round if I need cases. So $20 for a box of 20 vrs $100 for a box of 20. But even if you need to purchase cases for $1.00 each the price comes down each time you reload them.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 405 Times in 74 Posts
    I do need to start reloading, would be a fun hobby to start

Thanks
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,172 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 322 Times in 91 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ivorytip View Post
    I do need to start reloading, would be a fun hobby to start
    Be careful what you wish for....I can become very addicting. LOL
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 157 Times in 38 Posts
    You will find with reloading that you really don't save any money since you shoot a lot more.

You will also find out that the last few years that components are very hard to come by and only in the last year have you been able to find powder, primers, and bullets in a decent supply. If a certain female gets voted into the presidency you can expect for powders, primers, and bullets to become almost extinct again.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 207 Times in 50 Posts

Some people just have to try and turn anything into a political issue.
    When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money.

Cree Prophecy

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast