Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 7 Posts

Flying to Alaska for Caribou Hunt

Three of us are planning a 2017 caribou hunt to Alaska. We are thinking about using 40 mile air. I have talked to them and got the whole scoop. We are thinking of driving and bringing a chest freezer and generator so we can freeze the meat all the way home. I have also looked at a Kotzebue caribou hunt. The Kotzebue hunt would require flying in. That would save travel time and the gas prices would offset the the flight cost.

So my question is, how has your guy's experience with getting meat and antlers back home? The Kotzebue hunt might allow two caribou. Does the Kotzebue area have more caribou? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 336 Times in 59 Posts
    I've seen you tube videos of 40 mile air hunts, looked very good. Caribou hunt is on my bucket list!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 141 Times in 32 Posts
    Check with Canadian Customs on their regulation of crossing the border with meat. I have never done it but it could get sticky if you just show up on the border with a freezer full of steaks.

Enjoy the hunt..
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 336 Times in 59 Posts
    I came back into the US last September, I had my moose cut and frozen, and the antlers. Not an issue. I had to lark my truck and go inside and talk to the ag officer. I was at the US border office maybe 10 min. If memory serves me you'll need an inspection if bringing back a grizzly and maybe a goat or stone sheep? That's done in Canada. Keep us posted on your adventure.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 39 Times in 12 Posts
    Good luck.

TK

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 78 Times in 26 Posts
    I've only brought antlers/skin/cape with cut wrapped meat from Can Into the USA, that part was a breeze. I'd decide on my ports of entry, then call those ports. Should be easy if you have the correct paperwork. If you drive, you'll have a number of crossings.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 7 Posts
    I thought I would follow up with my plans for the Alaska hunt. We ended up getting one of the three openings for new customers that 40 mile air had available. I called 66 times in 7 minutes and I got the second of the three openings. I have purchased my hunting license and locking tag for the 2016 price. That saved me a lot of money. There tag prices are doubling!!! We all got caribou, bear, and wolf tags. We decided to fly to Fairbanks and have 40 mile air come and get us.

8. The Following User Says Congratulations to Ricochet For This Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 131 Times in 26 Posts
    I don't doubt that you'll have a great hunt. 40 mile air is top notch! The caribou herd in that area are doing well. I'll be real anxious to hear how you do! You may be happy to have the wolf and bear tags too!

Throw a pm my way if you would like any extra info...those are all my old stomping grounds!
    Last edited by AKaviator; 12-26-2016 at 06:13 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 45 Times in 6 Posts
    Shyte, now that's what I'd call demand for a limited resource. Kudos on your persistence and keep us informed on how the hunt goes.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 493 Times in 64 Posts

Since you are flying in, what is your plan to get meat, cape, and antlers home? I'm looking very hard at a hunt up north for moose but haven't decided where yet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast