Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muzzy Loads

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 3 Posts

Muzzy Loads

Hey guys-

In the market for a muzzleloader.

Just want to hear about what you have and what works for you in terms of loads

Successful mixs and matches

i have been looking at a TC Impact or a CVA, trying to stay under my budget of 400-500 for the gun

thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 152 Times in 28 Posts
    Traditions buckstalker, 3-50 grain pellets, 250 grain Hornady sabot, run two of these myself, one with red dot and other with Cabela's bdc 4-16, have taken deer from 70-250 yards with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mathews Heli-m, 70 lb limbs, 29.5 draw, trophy ridge react pro 7 pin sight, qad hdx rest, axion 4 in stabilizer, 6 arrow quiver, cabelas stalker extreme arrow 4 in vanes, rocket hammerhead, tru-fire hardcore release

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 141 Times in 32 Posts
    A lot of it is going to depend on where you are going to be hunting with it. In a number of states you can only hunt with loose powder and no sabots. I'm not aware of California's black powder regulations but you might want to check that out before you start to decide on a load.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JimP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 152 Times in 34 Posts
    BH209 / Thor combo not only works....but works well in finicky ML.

For your awareness.....the specifications over all on gun manufacturers have expanded tolerance so much that the correct size and fit of things is critical. Specifically in ML barrel diameters. Thats why Thor works so well and is successful. Actually is the correct size for the barrel. Just my 2 sense. I've saved a lot of guys who were going to throw away their ML, used that combo (or pellets) and now trust and love their weapon (most with elk down/open sights)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugz View Post

For your awareness.....the specifications over all on gun manufacturers have expanded tolerance so much that the correct size and fit of things is critical. Specifically in ML barrel diameters. Thats why Thor works so well and is successful. Actually is the correct size for the barrel. Just my 2 sense. I've saved a lot of guys who were going to throw away their ML, used that combo (or pellets) and now trust and love their weapon (most with elk down/open sights)

Thanks guys. This is for my Utah LE Elk tag!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 64 Times in 8 Posts
    Get a scope and run a sabot. I personally like Hornady and barnes around 300 grain and can get them to shoot really well with Bh209 or triple 7. Now that you can run a scope in Utah, look at Nikon, Leupold, etc with the bdc reticle for muzzys.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts
    I finally found the load for my tc pro hunter. 100 grains bh 209 and 250 hornady sst low drag. Half inch at 50. One and a half inch at 100. By far the best muzzy group ive had.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 89 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swampokie View Post
    I finally found the load for my tc pro hunter. 100 grains bh 209 and 250 hornady sst low drag. Half inch at 50. One and a half inch at 100. By far the best muzzy group ive had.
    If you're talking about with open sights, that's an exceptional group! That's good even with a scope... I'm happy with anything less than a 4" group at 100 yds. Will accept anything less than 6". I don't shoot much farther than 100 yds though. Wouldn't even consider shooting at something over 150 yds.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 26 Times in 2 Posts

What he said...

What he said...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CoHiCntry View Post
    If you're talking about with open sights, that's an exceptional group! That's good even with a scope... I'm happy with anything less than a 4" group at 100 yds. Will accept anything less than 6". I don't shoot much farther than 100 yds though. Wouldn't even consider shooting at something over 150 yds.
    I have a leupold ultimate slam on it. I hear about sub moa with this setup but I'm tickled with under 2 in!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast