Thread: Crimp or not ?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Crimp or not ?

Is it necessary or even recommended to crimp (roll or tapered) on my 300 weatherby mag. the rifle is a rem 700 classic in 300 weatherby. norma cases, 180 gr nosler accubonds. some say yes others say never. I would appreciate any advice you guys can give me, thanks, john.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 312 Times in 85 Posts
    First, the normal 2 die set that most reloaders buy/use, does not crimp during bullet seating. Unless you are using a tubular magazine, no crimping is really necessary. Crimping serves several purposes, first it seals the case to the bullet, especially in pistol straight wall cases (and some straight wall rifle cases like 45-70). It also allows more pressure to build up, which helps seal the case wall with the chamber preventing blowback. It also prevents the bullet from being pushed down into the case when loaded in a tubular magazine.

I don't crimp at all for any rifle loads, only straight walled pistol loads.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks C.C. In all my reloading i've never crimped, just trying to get some professional views.
    Last edited by jmwyoming; 04-23-2016 at 10:15 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 141 Times in 32 Posts
    To decide if you even need a taper crimp or any crimp at all load you need to measure the length of your loads. Then load them into the rifles and start shooting. I'll keep the same 3 rounds in the rifle and load individual rounds into the chamber to shoot. Then after 3 or so rounds have been shot I'll measure the ones that are still in the rifle and see if the bullet has jumped further out under recoil. I usually only do this when I am changing brass, or the type of bullet that I am shooting. So far in over 40 years of reloading I have had no problem without a crimp but know of others that have had a problem.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JimP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks Jim P. appreciate the info.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jmwyoming View Post
    Thanks Jim P. appreciate the info.
    It's my understanding that crimping can affect accuracy, so it's not recommended for most rifle hunting load applications, unless you are shooting a very heavy magnum where recoil could affect seating depth.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HiMtnHnter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 141 Times in 32 Posts

Crimping will affect a lot of things. But if the expander ball is slightly oversize or if the bullets are slightly undersized the bullets may jump under recoil. That is where you need to load 10 or so rounds along with measuring the loads and load up the rifle and shoot it with rounds in the magazine of the rifle, to see if you are going to have a problem.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JimP For This Useful Post: