Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 133 Times in 27 Posts

I share your bias. I've lived here over 40 years now and have still not seen it all. I am in awe of the beauty here. I just got back from driving down to the Kenai peninsula from Anchorage to pick up a new canoe and told my wife, that if we ever decide to move out-of-state, we had better not make this same drive or we'd never want to leave! We saw several Dall sheep and plenty of moose.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 3 Posts
    I have to say, moose is not at the top of my priority list, but i love reading all the replies on how to go about hunting them. Just wanna say thanks to all you guys providing a wealth of information!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kesand72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 336 Times in 59 Posts
    I have to tell you all and I'm sure AK would agree, once you hunt these great beasts you're hooked. Not only hooked on the hunt but the table fare is second only to stone sheep.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sneakypete For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 36 Times in 14 Posts
    Or dall sheep :-)))

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 480/277 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 133 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sneakypete View Post
    I have to tell you all and I'm sure AK would agree, once you hunt these great beasts you're hooked. Not only hooked on the hunt but the table fare is second only to stone sheep.
    I do agree! Cow calling a big bull, early in the morning and hearing him grunting and breaking brush on his way, my adrenaline just soars! I've never hunted elk but I imagine bugling in a big bull is similar in excitement. Moose is great table fare! I haven't eaten a stone sheep but Dall's are good.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AKaviator For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 1 Post
    AK thanks for the offer, I will send you a PM. And I want to thank everyone for the information. This is extremely helpful. I am definitely enjoying the community we have here.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 152 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AKaviator View Post
    I do agree! Cow calling a big bull, early in the morning and hearing him grunting and breaking brush on his way, my adrenaline just soars! I've never hunted elk but I imagine bugling in a big bull is similar in excitement. Moose is great table fare! I haven't eaten a stone sheep but Dall's are good.
    Im my experience.....elk, moose and turkey hunting seems to attract the same mentality of people.......they all tend to have that crazy look in their eyes also! The last time I saw that look was last year when a gentlemen (50 yrs old) shot his first elk during muzzleloader season. He looked down at the animal and muttered " holy sh-t is she big" I said "oh yeah, this pack out is gonna sting a little" We broke her down and started back to camp 2.78 miles away and up 1300 feet. Before we started I told him " this is gonna hurt, keep a slow steady pace, we will get you back to camp, get your boots off, feed, water/hydrate then we will come back in to get the rest of her before dark" He gave me a look like NFW, you are crazy and we started out.
    After executing the plan, making it back to camp and hanging the rear quarters I started to lace my boots back up and said "ok lets get going" He looked up from the ground and said "I cant believe Im gonna say this, but ok, lets go, I feel great now"

He was hooked on western hunting, had a smile and had the "look of craziness now in his eyes"

Man I love this place!!!

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Slugz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Amen slugz!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 96 Times in 25 Posts
    Hey guys I am starting to consider doing a moose hunt. I would love to do an Alaskan/Yukon hunt, but those seem over whelming and expensive for a boy from GA. Everyone on here knows my style of hunting is archery backcountry DIY, but I am contemplating a New Foundland guided hunt. I would still like to be in the backcountry and not in a lodge if possible. Does anyone have any experience in NF with a bow? I would love to hear personal experiences about any specific outfitters, good or bad. PM me if you prefer to not air it out publicly. Also I am wanting to keep this hunt in the $5,000 range.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Extractor View Post
    I agree with most of the posts, I will probably draw in a few years in Wyoming, I have 15 points this year and 3 plus 14 in Colorado. If I were to start now I would figure out when I wanted to go, divide those years into the trip cost and go to Canada, by far your best bang for the buck and quality. Northern BC would be my choice, best quality for dollars spent. Yukon for Alaskan moose, but very pricey, 17-20,000K. Alaska is great to hunt, but guided hunts are very pricey too, self-guided is fun, but much lower success rate. Ontario's moose are so-so imo. Fishing is usually good anywhere you moose hunt. I don't think it pays to purchase points now because you are so far back, unless you're willing to wait and want to spend the point bucks.
    I've been complaining about CO not accepting credit cards for Moose, sheep, goat..., supposedly this year they will, and supposedly they won't require fronting the tag fee this year! so talk about a WIN-LOSS!? anytime no money to front is required, there go the odds.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast