Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 1 Post

Moose hunt someday!

I am asking for some advice on planning a moose hunt in the distant future. I would like to go on a moose hunt in 5-10 years, but I have not built any preference points in any state yet. I know that Colorado has a deadline coming up April 5. I am wondering if you guys think it is worth starting to build preference points for moose now. Or, if you think I am far enough behind that it wouldn't be worth it and I should just look at a hunt in Alberta or Ontario or something like that when I am ready to go. Just wondering what you guys would do.

Thanks for the help!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 147 Times in 34 Posts
    For a moose hunt I would just save my money and head north where you can purchase a OTC license. The only problem with this is that a lot of Canadian Provinces require you to hire a outfitter for your hunt so that increases the price.

If you have 20 or so years to wait then by all means start applying for Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, and where ever else has tags available. Another alternitive to the draws is to find a Ranching For Wildlife ranch in Colorado where you can purchase a guided moose hunt, or Utah on a CMWU property. I am not sure if any other state offers these type of hunts.

I personally would bite the bullet and spend the money to head to Alaska where you can shoot a real moose.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JimP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 152 Times in 34 Posts
    You have three pretty good options to pursue IMO. 1. DIY/guided alaska hunt 2. DIY/guided hunt in Ontario 3. Build points in western states (I don't think a waste in Colorado)......all three have varying differences in price and experience....I've done a ton of research the past year to include a lot of great info here on the Eastmans forum. Just search DIY moose and all the old threads will come up. Personally I'm building points for Colorado and will most likely go do a DIY Ontario fly in hunt. I was surprised just how cheap the Ontario hunts were not to mention the ability to combine it with some pretty solid fishing.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slugz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 1 Post
    I'm 26 so I have quite a few years to apply for PP, but I would want to do it soon enough to bring my dad along. He is 60 this year and in very good shape, so maybe ultimately a DIY Ontario hunt is the best option. We are definitely DIY type people, so that being at all possible is definitely a plus. If we can do 2 DIY hunts for the price of 1 guided hunt, its definitely worth it for us to go DIY to be able to make 2 solid trips from it.

Slugs, I will search for the information you mentioned. When you end up doing your hunt up there, if you dont mind keep me posted on your plans. The added fishing is always a plus to me. Just curious if you dont mind me asking, how many points do you currently have for Colorado?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 494 Times in 65 Posts
    If you start applying in Wyoming now, you will likely spend 2-3k just in preference points before you draw a bull moose tag. On top of this, you will have the tag cost. In 20-30 years that will likely be 2-3k. Total cost for tags and points will likely be over 5k and a lot of years waiting. Or you can go hunt the peace river in Alberta for about the same investment right now. I have found many hunts in the 5-7k range.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hilltop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 152 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bowrunner View Post
    I'm 26 so I have quite a few years to apply for PP, but I would want to do it soon enough to bring my dad along. He is 60 this year and in very good shape, so maybe ultimately a DIY Ontario hunt is the best option. We are definitely DIY type people, so that being at all possible is definitely a plus. If we can do 2 DIY hunts for the price of 1 guided hunt, its definitely worth it for us to go DIY to be able to make 2 solid trips from it.

Slugs, I will search for the information you mentioned. When you end up doing your hunt up there, if you dont mind keep me posted on your plans. The added fishing is always a plus to me. Just curious if you dont mind me asking, how many points do you currently have for Colorado?
    Most likely never enough (3 with 2 weighted) as the weighted points are now at 14 I believe.....I keep putting in due to the chances of pulling one. You never know....I think chances of marrying one up to another hunter is tough though.....better to just pay for the hunt. Some pretty weird things though happening in the moose draw in Colorado every year so you never know...its a real crap shoot IMO......as evident by last years draw recap.

Look up Thunderhook Outfitters .....http://www.thunderhook.com/

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 29 Times in 6 Posts
    I put Moose into the same category as Sheep, waste of time to start now buying points. Good advice on going to Alaska or Canada. Your better off putting that preference point money into a savings account and use the money for tags when the time comes. I'd rather save for a sure thing than rolling the dice on a hunt I may never win.

I'm not optimistic of Moose populations in the foreseeable future. Wolves will be all over the state of colorado before you are even sniffing a permit.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buckbull For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 3 Posts
    I agree with most of the posts, I will probably draw in a few years in Wyoming, I have 15 points this year and 3 plus 14 in Colorado. If I were to start now I would figure out when I wanted to go, divide those years into the trip cost and go to Canada, by far your best bang for the buck and quality. Northern BC would be my choice, best quality for dollars spent. Yukon for Alaskan moose, but very pricey, 17-20,000K. Alaska is great to hunt, but guided hunts are very pricey too, self-guided is fun, but much lower success rate. Ontario's moose are so-so imo. Fishing is usually good anywhere you moose hunt. I don't think it pays to purchase points now because you are so far back, unless you're willing to wait and want to spend the point bucks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 3 Posts
    I hope no one from FWS's reads these posts. They'll think they're losing out on cash, change the system again, and I'll be screwed!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 255 Times in 38 Posts

Here's something that hasn't been covered. Idaho has a random drawing for moose tags, not great odds, but a chance, heck some of the tags are around 25% odds last I looked. Start to save for your guided hunt, put in for Idaho every year, you draw go, when you have the money saved and you haven't drawn go guided.

Good luck, and God bless!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to go_deep For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast