Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 29 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by go_deep View Post
    Link to Idaho 2015 draw odds, https://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public...lookupOdds.cfm

I'm no expert either, but what I stated was right. Unit 27, 12-3, and 12-4 was 100% draw for NR. A bunch of units are 12%-33%.

You do have to front the $2,100, but do you want to hunt moose or not?
    The odds are not as good as they look, I remember eastmans doing a breakdown on the Idaho Moose odds and an explanation. I remember something about the true odds for a NR being less than 1% for most of the hunts.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 136 Times in 25 Posts
    I have connections to hunt Wyoming if I could ever draw a tag, but like others said point cost and low draw odds have prevented me from even trying. I chose to book for 2018 with Papa Bear adventures in Alaska for a drop hunt. They provide transport to a location they have scouted and we are renting a boat and camp from them, but once there we are on our own for 10 days. That seemed like a much better option than trying to get all our stuff all the way to Alaska. Not sure if it was the right thing to do or not, but we are giving it a shot. It's in a unit without the minimum width or point restrictions so it might have lower average antler size than some areas, but they have pretty good success rates. It looked to run about 10k less than a guided hunt from my research, still expensive but more affordable. I'll give an update after the hunt but it will be a while.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mcseal2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 36 Times in 14 Posts
    Newfoundland
    Best bang for the buck BTDT
    I hear Alberta is a good trip too. But choose your outfitter
    Wisely. On my goat hunt I only saw 3 moose

Alaska DIY BTDT also a good option. Choose transporter wisely. Have heard
    Good things on Papa Bear, have not used. I used Wright's Air out of Fairbanks
    Personally I think the op would have the best hunt 2x1 in Newfoundland

If you go do the fly in hunt not the drive to camp. Get bear tags!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 480/277 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 28 Times in 10 Posts
    I've got to disagree on Newfoundland being the best option. A 40" there is really big and a 50" is a monster. Population density is higher than Ontario, but at least there is a chance at a true giant if you hunt a good area in Ontario.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 1 Post
    Thanks a lot for all of the information! This is all very helpful.

I like the thought of hunting a cow moose in Colorado in a few years and then looking elsewhere in 5-10 years. I was going to apply for a moose PP in Colorado this year, but I bought a shinny little stone for my girlfriend and I don't think I should put another 2k on my credit card right now. So, I think I will buy a PP for Wyoming this summer just for the heck of it. Next year I will apply for a PP in Colorado and most likely hunt a cow moose in a few years there. As far as going elsewhere, I would probably look for an opportunity with the highest chance of success at an average bull and an awesome experience. I know that having an opportunity at a 50+" bull would be awesome, but I can't say I am a huge trophy hunter. They do look awesome on the wall, but I am an experience junky if you understand what I mean. From what I am seeing, Ontario, Newfoundland, and Alberta are the areas to check out.

Also, good luck to all those that are applying for hunts and building PP.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 336 Times in 59 Posts
    Congrats on getting engaged, does the little lady hunt

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 36 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonArrow View Post
    I've got to disagree on Newfoundland being the best option. A 40" there is really big and a 50" is a monster. Population density is higher than Ontario, but at least there is a chance at a true giant if you hunt a good area in Ontario.
    That was to the op, and I may incorrectly inferred this to be a one time moose hunt. If it is, I stand by Newfoundland. You can see quite a few animals. Have multiple opportunities. And most guys going on a one time moose hunt are happy with any moose. IIRC Newfoundland has the highest success rate.
    If size matters , NWT,Yukon, Alaska.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 480/277 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Sneakypete, I havnt asked her yet. I just bought the diamond, and I can post it on here cause she will never see it haha. She likes to fish, and went turkey hunting with me once. I could tell she had fun, and seemed like she was getting into it and strategizing with me, but didnt want to go the next year. Maybe I can get her to come again and get a tag herself this time. I am trying to get her into camping more also. Im trying to ease her into it all.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 336 Times in 59 Posts
    Great to here that!

Thanks
    Congratulations

Thanks a lot! Im pretty excited.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast