Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 336 Times in 59 Posts

bowrunner, here's another thing to ponder, you and your dad could do a 2on 1 hunt either BC or Alaska. I and doing that with my son next year he'll be 33 then. With your age I'd be buying bonus points in Wyoming for less than $100 a year after July 1st I believe. Idaho residents and non residents draw the same every year, but you have to spend $ for the license. I will tell once you start hunting moose you'll want to do it again. I took my first moose last year in BC. My thoughts.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 33 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by go_deep View Post
    Here's something that hasn't been covered. Idaho has a random drawing for moose tags, not great odds, but a chance, heck some of the tags are around 25% odds last I looked. Start to save for your guided hunt, put in for Idaho every year, you draw go, when you have the money saved and you haven't drawn go guided.

Good luck, and God bless!
    I'm certainly no expert but I don't think the odds are as good as they look at first sight in Idaho. Yea for residents they have some pretty decent odds but with that 10% cap for nonresidents, the odds for the most part are not as good as they look.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 152 Times in 34 Posts
    I think everyone here has valid points...just depends on how much coin, time you have. I do the CO thing cause every year a half decent amount of hunters with 3 points and no weighted, draw tags. It's better odds than in the lottery.

Not to stir the pot but something else to consider is the age of the highest point holders in many western states. I've read a study before that compared the point system in Co and point creep to whats called the " Big Crew Change" in oilfields all over the world. There is a pretty big gap in age between the high point holders and the medium area of the data set. Just my opinion and another reason why I moved to Co....lots of opportunity every year out west here!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 1 Post
    All the input is very helpful!

I have looked at some hunts in up north and I think I agree with sneakypete and we will do a 2 on 1 hunt. You guys will have an awesome time! Hopefully my dad and I will be doing something similar. I think roughly 6 or 7 years from now is when I would like to go. By then I would have some extra cash saved up. I also think that I will look into applying for an Idaho tag and look into PP for Wyoming. If I decide to start building PP in Wyoming I will get my dad one too.

I know the odds are against us going unguided, but I think when we eventually go up north, that would be preferred. We are big into adventures. I get hooked on things pretty quickly and I am certain that after I go moose hunting once I will be hooked. I also have heard that moose meat is delicous.

One last thought. I was looking at statistics for cow moose hunting in Colorado. There were several draws from nonresidents that had 0 pp and 0 weighted or 1 or 1 pp and 0 weighted. I thought this may be a mistake, so I called the Colorado fish and wildlife and they confirmed this. That is one thing that is drawing me to Colorado. I would love to shoot a big bull moose, but if a cow is my best bet then I wouldn't be against that.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bowrunner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 255 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NDHunter View Post
    I'm certainly no expert but I don't think the odds are as good as they look at first sight in Idaho. Yea for residents they have some pretty decent odds but with that 10% cap for nonresidents, the odds for the most part are not as good as they look.
    Link to Idaho 2015 draw odds, https://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public...lookupOdds.cfm

I'm no expert either, but what I stated was right. Unit 27, 12-3, and 12-4 was 100% draw for NR. A bunch of units are 12%-33%.

You do have to front the $2,100, but do you want to hunt moose or not?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by bowrunner View Post
    All the input is very helpful!

I have looked at some hunts in up north and I think I agree with sneakypete and we will do a 2 on 1 hunt. You guys will have an awesome time! Hopefully my dad and I will be doing something similar. I think roughly 6 or 7 years from now is when I would like to go. By then I would have some extra cash saved up. I also think that I will look into applying for an Idaho tag and look into PP for Wyoming. If I decide to start building PP in Wyoming I will get my dad one too.

I know the odds are against us going unguided, but I think when we eventually go up north, that would be preferred. We are big into adventures. I get hooked on things pretty quickly and I am certain that after I go moose hunting once I will be hooked. I also have heard that moose meat is delicous.

One last thought. I was looking at statistics for cow moose hunting in Colorado. There were several draws from nonresidents that had 0 pp and 0 weighted or 1 or 1 pp and 0 weighted. I thought this may be a mistake, so I called the Colorado fish and wildlife and they confirmed this. That is one thing that is drawing me to Colorado. I would love to shoot a big bull moose, but if a cow is my best bet then I wouldn't be against that.
    BR,

Yep on CO! You cant eat horns!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 44 Times in 4 Posts
    I'd say Colorado is out. Point creep will never stop. I'm 12 years in and still only have a .5% chance in most areas. BC is about the best deal for moose. They don't shoot huge bulls, but the prices are pretty cheap. Idaho is a shot, but you pay to play as you have to buy a non resident license before you apply. One thing to think about is what are your likely future wages going to be. If you're in a profession where you might be knocking down a $100k or more a a year in 10 - 15 years, start buying points in all the western states. You may never draw, but so what about the cost. If you can afford it, don't worry about it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple BB View Post
    I'd say Colorado is out. Point creep will never stop. I'm 12 years in and still only have a .5% chance in most areas. BC is about the best deal for moose. They don't shoot huge bulls, but the prices are pretty cheap. Idaho is a shot, but you pay to play as you have to buy a non resident license before you apply. One thing to think about is what are your likely future wages going to be. If you're in a profession where you might be knocking down a $100k or more a a year in 10 - 15 years, start buying points in all the western states. You may never draw, but so what about the cost. If you can afford it, don't worry about it.
    TBB,
    Where are you getting that .5% number from? If you have 3 points and 9 weighted ....I'd say you are looking good for a horn tag and real good for a cow tag.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 336 Times in 59 Posts
    I still think if you're buying points and young enough where spending a good deal of money on a hunt I'd spending point money in Wyoming. No license like Idaho, Oregon. For the cost of $ 160,a person could be buying a moose, elk, and maybe a deer points. In a few years you're deer and elk hunting or hold out a few more years. I wish I'd had started buying points when I was even 40, I'd have 16-17 moose points maybe even a Wyoming bull.

Thanks
    Congratulations

Quote Originally Posted by sneakypete View Post
    I still think if you're buying points and young enough where spending a good deal of money on a hunt I'd spending point money in Wyoming. No license like Idaho, Oregon. For the cost of $ 160,a person could be buying a moose, elk, and maybe a deer points. In a few years you're deer and elk hunting or hold out a few more years. I wish I'd had started buying points when I was even 40, I'd have 16-17 moose points maybe even a Wyoming bull.
    Agreed....Colorado has the weighted/converted draw number system. I still think its pretty fair and have tried to poke holes in it and can't....for example when talking moose tags only and not specifying cow or bull....out of 1583 NR adults who applied 10 drew with no weighted points and 6 of them had zero and zero.....I think if you combine the good states.....good planning...realistic expectations.....and a Ontario/Alberta/Alaska hunt you can have a pretty solid plan for the future. And IMHO its only gonna get better.....I'm seeing way too many large moose hunting elk now

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast