Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 152 Times in 34 Posts

I use a tumbler, walnut media and a squirt or two of brasso.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I use both for my brass. Get on Amazon or harbour Freight and get an Ultrasonic cleaner and tumbler a lot cheaper then the "Brand" name ones and the are the same unit just doesnt say Hornady or Lyman.
    I tumble my brass first for about 30 minutes, just to clean it so I can de-prime them. Then I run it through the Ultrasonic cleaner for a few cycles. After drying I tumble it again for a few hours. This gets the inside and primer pockets nice and clean. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,065 Times in 1,177 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 322 Times in 91 Posts
    The only thing to remember when putting them thru the tumber again after depriming is that a small piece of media can get stuck in the flash hole. need to inspect all the cases before repriming.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 165 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    The only thing to remember when putting them thru the tumber again after depriming is that a small piece of media can get stuck in the flash hole. need to inspect all the cases before repriming.
    Spot on advice.

Happened to me on more than one occasion.

As a relativity new reloader to 9mm shells I found that a common cleaning mixture and a cement mixer work best for doing bulk runs of 9MM brass compared to my ultrasonic.

Then I put the brass on a cookie sheet in the over for a couple hours to make sure the insides of the case are free of moisture.

I do a couple thousand rounds at a time now and it works for my needs.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 14 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maninthemaze View Post
    I'm fairly new to reloading for accuracy. What I've found, and read on other forums when asked, is that the stainless steel pins that I had been using and the sonic cleaners can get the brass too clean. What I mean by that is, when brass is cleaned with corn cob/walnut tumblers, there is a fair amount of dust and carbon left in the case neck. This dust acts as a lubricant of sorts. When brass is cleaned with SS pins, it's more of a brass on copper grip. I've started lubing my case necks before seating bullets. It has definitely helped my muzzle velocity averages.

Here's a link for a better explanation.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...ullet-seating/
    This theory begs the question, what about factory ammo? Is that why factory ammo isn't as precise as some handloads? The other question I'd have to ask the author of your linked post is, did he turn the inside of his necks? If he did then maybe his cutting tool or his technique is creating ridges inside the case neck that are creating inconsistent neck tension problems. Maybe the sonic cleaner is doing a better job and has revealed his problem with his neck turning process. Maybe having carbon and lube inside the neck is just masking the true problem.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 164 Times in 56 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mallardsx2 View Post
    Spot on advice.

As a relativity new reloader to 9mm shells I found that a common cleaning mixture and a cement mixer work best for doing bulk runs of 9MM brass compared to my ultrasonic.

Then I put the brass on a cookie sheet in the over for a couple hours to make sure the insides of the case are free of moisture.

WOW!! That's serious.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mallardsx2 View Post
    Spot on advice.

You should check in to a Big Dawg tumbler. I built one just like his relatively cheap. I think I've got $75 in it, maybe $100 including pins. I can tumble 1000 rounds of 45 ACP easily.

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12