PDA

View Full Version : Airtaxi service for DIY moose hunt

swampdog112
01-16-2015, 07:26 PM
I've fished Alaska once on the Kenai river but have never had the opportunity to hunt there. A buddy and I are finally in the early planning stages for a DIY alaskan moose hunt. Looking at 2016 or 2017 probably. I was just wondering if anyone had used or heard about any airtaxi companies up there with good reviews/results.

I've heard some positive things about 40 mile air but haven't heard much about any others. I'm not set on any particular style of hunt... Bush plane, float plane on a lake, or river float hunt would all be options.

Thanks!

JEandAsGuide
01-16-2015, 08:13 PM
I do not have any experience but have also heard good things about 40 mile air. I have a 2016 caribou hunt with them in the works. If successful, and God willing, we will do a moose hunt a couple years later.

alaska2go
01-16-2015, 08:20 PM
you might want to look at willow air

Tim McCoy
01-16-2015, 08:30 PM
I was poking around, a year or two ago, thinking of trying Caribou again with a kid, and heard good things about Arrowhead. We ended up chasing something else, so I have no first hand experience with them. The outfit I used the first time sold out, then the area had a herd crash, then the new owners went way up scale, so that is no help to you either.

http://www.arrowheadoutfitters.com/

They are more of a self guided set up vs. a pure transport service, but they may know of a reliable provider if in fact they won't do what you seek.

swampdog112
01-16-2015, 08:33 PM
you might want to look at willow air

Great thanks for the tip! One of my buddies that went up there a couple years ago used Sportsmans air but it looks like their only options are fully guided for 18,000 or fully outfitted DIY for 8000. I have my own hunting/camping gear, I'm just looking for someone in a good area that can drop me off and pick me up

swampdog112
01-16-2015, 08:33 PM
I was poking around, a year or two ago, thinking of trying Caribou again with a kid, and heard good things about Arrowhead. We ended up chasing something else, so I have no first hand experience with them. The outfit I used the first time sold out, then the area had a herd crash, then the new owners went way up scale, so that is no help to you either.

http://www.arrowheadoutfitters.com/

They are more of a self guided set up vs. a pure transport service, but they may know of a reliable provider if in fact they won't do what you seek.

Great thanks!

swampdog112
01-16-2015, 08:35 PM
I do not have any experience but have also heard good things about 40 mile air. I have a 2016 caribou hunt with them in the works. If successful, and God willing, we will do a moose hunt a couple years later.

Awesome, keep us posted on how the caribou hunt works out! I was thinking about doing the same thing but I decided to go for moose first

Retterath
01-16-2015, 10:05 PM
i have heard tons of great info about brooks range aviation out of Bettles. I know they have a great operation with caribou

hoshour
01-17-2015, 11:13 AM
I would contact AKAviator who has flown hunters around Alaska for many years and is very well connected to that industry.

Team Kabob
01-17-2015, 11:41 AM
^^all good advice! It's a trip you will remember and talk about for life. Plus have pictures to prove it

-)---> ¥
Got him!

alaska2go
01-17-2015, 05:00 PM
You also might to check out Tok air. He used to be a pilot for 40 mile air. He flies out of a super cub so think light weight camp.

Cobbhunts
01-18-2015, 06:15 AM
I would contact AKAviator who has flown hunters around Alaska for many years and is very well connected to that industry.
He's one of the first I would contact for info as well. Him and Alaska2go which has already chimed in. I just hope I have a reason to be contacting them someday!!

480/277
03-21-2015, 03:51 AM
Wright Air

WY ME
03-22-2015, 07:15 PM
I've flown with both Fortymile and Willow air on caribou hunts but it was so long ago that it wouldn't be fair for me to comment since the company names are the same but the owners aren't. Fortymile was great way back then but our pilot/co-owner Charlie Warbelow died in a helicopter crash many years ago. He was a great guy.
Here's an old post from another forum about fortymile http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/printthread/Board/33/main/353400/type/thread

AKaviator
03-22-2015, 08:13 PM
Yep, 40 Mile is great and they only use really great pilots! :) If you look at the other forums post, use caution. Not all guides are what they seem, even if some named hunter goes with them.

WY ME
03-22-2015, 09:53 PM
Yep, 40 Mile is great and they only use really great pilots! :) If you look at the other forums post, use caution. Not all guides are what they seem, even if some named hunter goes with them.

Do you fly for Fortymile?

AKaviator
03-23-2015, 10:27 AM
I used to.

Bonecollector
03-23-2015, 11:42 AM
What a great problem to figure out! :-)
Good luck!!

BrettKoenecke
09-22-2015, 12:27 PM
Wow this is good info. Anyone ever done SW Alaska? out of bethel perhaps?

buckbull
09-26-2015, 10:11 AM
I posted this in the wrong moose thread. Worth a watch for someone doing a DIY AK moose hunt......

One of the long time forum members did a DIY moose hunt and I think he was able to use atv's or side x sides. here is a link to his post. He doesn't post much here anymore I don't think but you could try an IM.

http://forum.eastmans.com/showthread.php/4345-2012-DIY-Alaskan-Moose-Video?highlight=alaska+moose

FitToHunt
02-16-2016, 01:56 PM
Just called 40 mile air. They only had 8 moose spots open to new customers in 2016 and they all filled up in one day back in December! wow